Sowing Crops Directly into Growing Positions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sowing Crops Directly into Growing Positions

My allotment is now clear, manured up and beds set out (a total of 15). Other than planting my potatos, I am now ready to plant (if the flipping rain stops). I know its still early but I want to get ready.

However, I am not in a fortunate position of being able to start off vegetables and then transplant. Therefore, direct sowing into the growing positions on my plots is my only choice.

So help / advice needed. For my parsnips & carrott plots, I have dug deep and cleared all stones etc...to hopefully allow a decent growth.

In addition, I have bought some growmore fertilizer (Wilko's best!!!). My plots are 3 x 3 yards each.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You could put some cloches up Simon, this will warm the ground & dry it out a bit! Then you could sow some of the stuff under these when it's a bit warmer - whenever that is !!
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

For carrots and parsnips firm the ground down and put out a line (a marker line of string) if you want to sow a straight line. Then simply draw a shallow line in the ground with the edge of a trowel and very thinly sprinkle the seeds down this shallow line. Cover with a thin layer of soil and pat it down. Then water the line and always put markers at both ends of the line. Remember if it does stop raining to water where you plant the seeds each week. Carrot and parsnip seed is very fine so don't sow if it is really windy and sow as thinly as possible.
      [

Comment

If you want a cheaper version than cloches, use clear plastic just to warm the soil up for a week, plant seeds and cover with fleece.
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X