No announcement yet.

Pea Staking

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the heavier duty mesh sold by garden centres, secured to broom handles either end with cable ties and supported in the middle by a bamboo cane threaded into the mesh - this is this year's (2m of mesh):

This worked very well last year. Attempts to do similar with the large mesh "pea netting" in previous years all ended in failure with the netting collapsing as the plants got heavier.
    Attached Files
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Looks like everyones gone a bit heavy dity compared to mine....i hope mine holds up? My first attempt at peas and beans this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
        21up as previously mentioned, I'm really lucky in the place I work, n get most gardening stuff "free"

Think the going rate for a three metre length of "Roll out lawn path" is 16 quid! Would never pay that myself!
        YES i know what you mean deano before i retired i had same oppertunity miss it now.
        have to pick things up wherever i can big diff to when i worked
        cheers Peter

Comment

Old fashioned me again, just some wooden supports and garden twine.

Potty
          Attached Files
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nannysally99 View Post
            Talking about peas, mine are indoors and about 3" high. They will be going out soon, but how do I get them hardened off?
            I moved the pots outside for a couple of hours and gradually increase the amount of time the plants are outside each day for two or three weeks. What varieties do you have?
            Last edited by spanish_gardener; 26-03-2014, 08:52 PM.
            http://savinglives.ahar.ie/

Comment

My garden is surrounded by chicken wire fence so I grow them up that, with hazel and bamboo poked through the mesh for extra height.

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                I use the heavier duty mesh sold by garden centres, secured to broom handles either end with cable ties and supported in the middle by a bamboo cane threaded into the mesh - this is this year's (2m of mesh):
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]43595[/ATTACH]
                This worked very well last year. Attempts to do similar with the large mesh "pea netting" in previous years all ended in failure with the netting collapsing as the plants got heavier.
                That's pretty much what I do. The plastic mesh costs a bit to start with but can be taken up and reused year after year whereas the net stuff they sell is infuriating as it scrunches up and would be a nightmare to clear, store and reuse.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Pea staking

This might sound stupid.

Was given a roll of orange plastic, the stuff that some workers use on the roads. It has holes in it, so peas would be able to climb up? I can put bamboo canes through it and tie on. its about a metre high.

Could I use that?

When I put my first plants in the beds was going to cover them with it at least till the plants had grown so birds can't get to it. Might as well make use of it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Melb View Post
                    This might sound stupid.

Was given a roll of orange plastic, the stuff that some workers use on the roads. It has holes in it, so peas would be able to climb up? I can put bamboo canes through it and tie on. its about a metre high.

Could I use that?

When I put my first plants in the beds was going to cover them with it at least till the plants had grown so birds can't get to it. Might as well make use of it?

Thanks
                    As long as the divisions between the holes are not too wide it should be fine - peas like to curl their tendrils around something fairly narrow.
                    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Melb View Post
                      This might sound stupid.

Could I use that?

Thanks
                      Yes, that will work great

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X