Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butternut squash leaves drying out

Hello

We're relatively new to the veg growing lark but this year we've surpassed ourselves with beans, tomatoes, strawberries, carrots, spring onions etc. Our problem is the butternut squash. We grew them from seed and they came up well. Now they're planted out in big pots and all the leaves seem to be growing and then dying off. You can see there are new leaves sprouting but they just die when they get to about 4 inches. They look like they are drying out and shrivelling rather than being eaten or going mouldy.

Can anybody help?

Hello Bagend Bunch. Where in the country are you ? The weather hasn't been very good and squash do like a bit of protection to start with. Did you have them in the greenhouse and put them straight outside ? I find if they're grown soft in the greenhouse they are fussy to harden off even if the weather is very good and always cover them with fleece to start with as they don't even seem to like a gentle breeze blowing on them til they've toughened up a bit. See what other grapes think.
    Glad you're other crops are doing well.
    And welcome to the Vine.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I did the same and planted my squash straight out and am losing leaves as well - is there any way to save them, do you think?

Comment

As long as new leaves are coming they should cope. Keep them sheltered if you can - the warm weather sorts out lots of problems.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Me too. My best plant is the one I planted out early knowing It might getfrostedas a result it was covered in fine mesh for a couple of weeks then off days,then off completely.
          meanwhile the other plants were growing on in green house,planted out a week ago since when they;ve had a near fost & xs rain. Several of them are looking decidedly yellow on the older leaves though the new ones a coming in dark green.
          I should have given them more protection when I planted them out & let thm spend less time getting spoilt in the green house.

They should do ok in the end,just need to tuoghen them up a bit.
          Jane

Comment

They need some tlc. I've raised mine in the greenhouse and have had them outside to harden off for just over a week. However, we have had a lot of rain and wind, and a few of them are looking decidedly unwell. Keeping my fingers crossed. I think the wind does more damage than the rain.

Comment

We have had the same problem ourselves, we planted out our first batch of squash and pumpkins that had grown well indoors in early Mat, but with the weather a bit windy we had problems, the second batch which were planted out just after they had broken the surface and were at 2 leaf stage took much better, and seem to be flourinshing, they are at 5 or 6 leaf stage now!
              Blessings
              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

As so many above I have the same experience. The leaves look dry and there has been slow growth but I think it was due to the cold wet weather last week. With the forecast looking good I'm sure everything will start romping on!
                http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Things are looking up!

Thanks for your advice everyone.

The plants are now looking a lot more healthy now - lots more leaves that aren't drying out. It's nice to know others have the same sort of problems and it's not just us!

Keep growing!

Bagend Bunch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X