Green mulch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green mulch

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using a green mulch? I have found a few bits of information about it but was wondering what people use here. It seems a little counter-intuitive as I would have thought that adding more green growth to an area would increase competition for nutrients and water.

However, if it does work I am interested as I do all my growing in my back-garden at home and I am sure a green mulch would look a lot more attractive than the usual compost mix I use.

So the questions are: What have you used? Did it work?

Thanks
    Liam

Latest garden pics (16th April 2006)

I used clover once and it worked really well, looked good and easily dug in at the end of the year. I've also used flowers or even veg themselves as a mulch or weed suppressor, such as courgettes below sweetcorn.
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

This will probably answer a lot of your questions UG. They also do a little booklet that is good.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/orga...g/grn_mans.php
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

You can use mustard seed which you can also dig in at the end of the year or just grow it after you have harvested then dig in at start of spring.

Comment

Nick, that page seems to about green manures, which I use regularly, do the same principles apply to green mulches and are all the plants which you use as a manure suitable as a summer mulch to plant around my veggies?

Andrewo and GG - thank you for your suggestions. I may give both clover and mustard a go on small areas of my garden to see if they improve those areas.
          Liam

Latest garden pics (16th April 2006)

Comment

Phacelia is also a good mulch and manure. It also has the benefit of beautiful flowers. Rye grass is another.
            Best wishes
            Andrewo
            Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X