Vertical growing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical growing

Hi again everyone, hows things growing for you all, everything on our lottie is doing fabulous, but I have a question.

Only I like courgettes, I have one super plant on the go and would like advice as to whether it can be grown vertically in a large container and how best to support it.

The container is one of the large green re-cycling tubs (for glass/plastic and cans)
    How better to re-cycle than to use the tubs to grow your own

How big should the plant be before it is repotted, mine has 4 big leaves and 3 smaller ones, there are flower buds at the base of the leaves already.

Your suggestions would be very helpful, thankyou.
    Last edited by vron; 03-06-2007, 02:12 PM.
    Vron, Tara & Harley. (The black beastie)

"The more people I meet, the more I like my Dogs"

Hello Vron. Courgettes don't get tall or climb so they can't really be grown vertically. They are a bit floppy and don't stand up straight. You can grow one in a 12" pot and if you are the only person who likes them that will be enough. Enjoy your courgettes.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Wrong Veg

Hi Alice, thankyou for your reply.

On re-reading my post I realised that I had put courgette instead of cucumber.

The courgette is in the re-cycle box as stated, the cucumber is in a large plant tub aprox 18" across with a cane wigwam for support. We have used water retaining gel crystals in both the courgette and cucumber pot/box.

As regards the gel crystals, follow the stated amount per pot size etc.

I used more than the recommended amount in my lillie tubs, (as when dry it doesn't look like enough) I ended up removing some once wet as it forms huge wobbly jelly lumps, just like giant frogs spawn.

Comment

I grow some outdoor cucumbers in a large tub and use a framework of bamboo canes. The plants can't hold on strongly enough on their own, so I tie the stems onto the canes. The fruits can be heavy, so make a kind of ladder - uprights and crosspieces. You can always lean the framework backwards onto a fence, too.

Comment

Hi Cutecucumber thanks for the info, this is the first cuc plant we have grown, so any advice is sooo welcome. I like the idea of the 'ladders'. How tall can they get.

Comment

Well, they bend fairly easily so you can zig-zag them on the frame, tying them in now and again. As for height, therefore, you decide, and make the plant do what is best for you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X