Couple of questions.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
    The reason I want to do this is that I have two sungold toms growing as cordon but wish I had more so I am planting the side shoots that I have pulled off. However I don't have room for anymore cordons so bushes would be easier. I shall try it.
    Last year I grew a few toms as cordons but with two stems, using a low down shoot. Trained them both up separate canes but obviously much closer together than growing two plants. Pinching out the elbows as normal. It may give you a bit more control.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban View Post
      To be honest I think we just pinch out the side shoots on our cordon tomatoes just for tidiness, it's easy just to concentrate on supporting and getting fruit off the main stem, I'm sure they would fruit on the side shoots if left to there own devices, in there natural habitat they are perennial after all

There's a guy from the midlands that's holds a record for most tomatoes on a plant, sure I read somewhere it was a gardeners delight plant, but he has grown it without pinching out the side shoots, he's had to support all the stems though, and the plant was huge, so it might not be the space saving method you are after

Gardener, 68, reveals how he harvested 1,355 tomatoes from just ONE seed : SWNS

Yeh the sunflowers if you chop it off will just produce lots of smaller flowers like people have posted

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
      I looked at that article, the plant is huge!!! The funny thing is he attributes his success to praying next to it! I haven't spotted this technique anywhere on this forum. I am now off to my green house with a mat to kneel and give my plants a few "Alah hadbads".
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Bill I pinch out my Sungold tomatoes and they grow masses of fruit on the side shoots - see plants on the left of the photo below:

Attached Files
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Bill, say prayers in all languages - let us know how you get on!
          You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X