No announcement yet.

flat rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not lack of frost, because mine was certainly exposed to frost - hard frost, repeatedly ! Admittedly, not as much as normal, but nonetheless...Perhaps a bacterial or fungal infection, similar to spraing in potatoes, caused by an unseasonally wet coolness just above freezing ?
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

not manure dont use it.maybe lack of it ?

Comment

Originally posted by sammy_roser View Post
        Mine is the same! Three year old plant, grew well the last two years. Was looking forward to a decent crop this year but they are just very short and not growing upwards like they should!
        Me too. My neighbour's crowns are doing their usual embarrassingly overproductive thing, so it's not the lack of frosts. One of mine has died and the other is flat as a pancake. Am thinking I might start again.
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

This is peculiar because a lot of people including me are having a bumper crop, Mine have done nothing much in the past 3 seasons but this year they took off. I know it takes a while for them to settle in. I think I would be top dressing with some chicken manure pellets or a liquid feed.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by back-achy jackie View Post
            I usually have a good show of rhubarb but this year it has not grown upwards.Instead it just lies flat on the soil and hardly any growth of the stems.Anyone know why?
            My Rhubarb has done much better recently, perhaps they were just a little short of water before . . .

My allotment in pictures

Comment

Mine looks rubbish.... It's better after the advice... 'Rhubarb needs watering even when it's rained'... But trying manure or pellets now.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

my rhubarb still looks crap had nothing off 2 plants some new growth coming up see what there like

Comment

Mine had almost completely disappeared, the leaves yellowed then dropped off. Some fresh new growth started now though, so will wait and see...
                  Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

My flat rhubarb seems to have recovered! It has several new leaves now, all normal looking. Has everyone elses perked up too?
                    Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

Same here! My 'late' rhubarb came early, lay down and died, but there has been quite a resurrection!

Comment

Somes up, somes down, none picked so far

Comment

Mine has totally perked up - you'd have thought I'd fed it coffee grounds from an espresso machine ! The stems are nothing much to write home about, but there is plenty of leaf area and the plant itself is healthy. I have been watering it.
                          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Mine has perked up real well. First year for it too
                            Nannys make memories

Comment

rhubarb on plot looks still looks crap leaves full of holes and wilting had water and feed something as been having a go on it but what .......plant at home is looking better may take some off this weekend

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X