No announcement yet.

Have yours got flowers?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do we find out which varieties flower (or need to flower) and which don't?

Comment

I thought Earlies didn't flower, but main crop did? Can't remember my Earlies flowering in the past.
      DottyR

Comment

Hi Dotty, I've just had a quick mosey through the national tattie database & from what I can see,they all flower.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Question is - do they need to flower before they're ready to harvest?
          or is it when the leaves die back?
          I've never really understood this but being an impatient sort, I usually dig 'em up when I'm hungry ................

Comment

My Accents went in on the 20th of March and are growing strongly, but there aren't any flowers yet. I'll be looking for flowers, but as we have plenty, I might also sneak a peak after 12 weeks, even if there aren't yet any blossoms.
            My allotment and cooking blog.

Comment

Well, all I can say is I've had very few Earlies ever flower, and had good crop, Rocket and Swift. Maybe we are different in Kent!
              DottyR

Comment

Mine are Wilja, no flowers yet, about 20cm high and looking very healthy - at the moment!

Comment

Maincrop lots of flowers and these do die back, but then they stay in the ground a lot longer. I only dig them up as I need them.
                  DottyR

Comment

I'm going to dig few up at the weekend, fed up of supermarket ones, want some taste.
                    DottyR

Comment

Just had a look at the Sutton, online guide and it says, 'the Earlies can be harvested when plant begins to flower, and the rest within 2 weeks.'
                      Last edited by Dorothy rouse; 20-05-2014, 10:04 PM.
                      DottyR

Comment

Yesterday I posted that I had never seen a flower on my Lady C and this was true.

Someone has intervened to make Potty look a fool for today for the first time ever not one but two flowers on different plants.
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I've been inspecting my Earlies very closely this Pm, and there might be just the teeniest of teeny, mini flower on 2 plants.
                          DottyR

Comment

My first earlies, foremost, have been planted for 7½ weeks now and today I spotted tiny flower buds. Never seen them so early.

I usually start pulling them at 10 weeks but this year I'll be having a little peek before that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X