Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with trying to save my tomato plug plant please.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with trying to save my tomato plug plant please.

Hi all, I got some plug plants delivered last week but was very lazy and didn't attempt to pot them on for a few days. When I got them out ready to pot up most of them had survived with no major damage but one of my toms had got totally wet and the whole top 2 inches were mushy. I nipped all of the bad stuff off and i'm probably left with a stump of about an inch that isn't squashy. Is it worth trying to save it for it to re-grow another stem or will it croak anyway? It's a Sungold variety and I was looking forward to growing it, why couldn't it have been the sweet aperitif when I had 6 more on the way?
    Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

If there is stile at least a single leaf available you have a good for it to regrow. It would send a new shoot in between the stump and a leaf. If not a single leaf I think there is no chance.

I have planted few sungold tomatoes. If I could find any with the label still (my problems is the labels is mixed up) I could root the shoots and post you few. But cannot guarantee it as I am bad with labelling.

Comment

If you know anyone else who's growing Sungold, ask them to save one of the sideshoots for you when they nip them out, then stick it in water and plant out when it's got roots (a week or so later) - Sungold seem to grow early and fast, so you shouldn't have to wait too long!
      sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Pineberry View Post
        If there is stile at least a single leaf available you have a good for it to regrow. It would send a new shoot in between the stump and a leaf. If not a single leaf I think there is no chance.
        Yes, I'd say that was spot on.

A lesson to be learned dear Moop. Any plants that have come via transit really need seeing to straight away or as soon as reasonably possible...
        Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
        Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pineberry View Post
          I have planted few sungold tomatoes. If I could find any with the label still (my problems is the labels is mixed up) I could root the shoots and post you few. But cannot guarantee it as I am bad with labelling.
          What a nice thought! Respect to you, dear Pineberry.
          Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
          Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks folks, I had thought it was a lost cause as it's not got no leaves on just a stem. Pineberry that is a really kind gesture and I appreciate it very much, I won't take you up on it though as I don't really have enough space to grow all the tom plants I have but I just didn't want the poor little neglected plug to go to waste. Yes it is a lesson learned and the hard way unfortunately but at least I managed to save the rest of them.

Comment

If your plugs were in the same condition as the ones I got from T&M even if you had potted them up straight away they may have been in a sorry state. The stem on my sungold was crushed at the seeds leaves height and the growing tip on the pink flamingo was withered too

Comment

I did inspect mine on delivery and they all looked healthy so no complaints that way, my problems were all my own doing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X