No announcement yet.

Overwintering your crops

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't cut mine back either. I've read pros and cons for both. If you cut back the roots you need to cut back the top growth enough for the roots to support it. I've tried both over the years, given up on the root cutting but I will cut back straggly growth during winter.
    I had a manzano for a few years, though I thought they were poor croppers. Lovely looking plant with fab black seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      I don't cut mine back either. I've read pros and cons for both. If you cut back the roots you need to cut back the top growth enough for the roots to support it. I've tried both over the years, given up on the root cutting but I will cut back straggly growth during winter.
      I had a manzano for a few years, though I thought they were poor croppers. Lovely looking plant with fab black seeds.
      Manzano/Rocoto can produce well, I was getting fourty or so pods from a plant on a windowsill. But as I said, productivity increased for the first years. I cut back as the compost gets exhausted, and I don't want too much top growth. Perhaps if you only overwinter once, cutting back is unnecessary. You can get pods over Christmas and early spring by not cutting back.

Comment

Chillies are short lived perennials and I find that they fruit best in their second year. To be honest, I love bringing on new plants so I usually retire them after their third summer. I keep them for the fruit so I won't cut off flowering stems during the winter.

Comment

I accidentally over wintered a row of early nantes carrots catch cropped underneath PSB covered by veggiemesh, quite successful, picked young carots earlier than spring sown, but not as tasty as the spring sown ones. I too like chard, it's so good tempered.

Comment

I have overwinter chillies but would not bother again.Lemon grass is a must and last winter coriander survived.
            Chard is a good survivor and I am hoping my embryo ginger will survive.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X