Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far:
    OUT:
    Cucumber - MiniMunch..........what a faff.
    Cauli - Snowball.........all bolted.
    Spuds - Orla, Arran Pilot & Rocket........Poor crop & full of holes.

IN:
    Spuds - Apache.........Nice clean crop.
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 04-07-2014, 08:22 AM.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Out- tumbling toms
      Garlic

Reduction - a lot less spuds
      a lot less sweet peppers

In - pea kelvedon wonder, tom Black Russian, carrots rainbow blend, pumpkin small sugar, + something I've never grown before

There might be other things added to the out list. To soon to tell

Comment

So far for me:

In -

Tomato 'Tumbler', if all the hundreds of flowers on my two plants set fruit and they taste nice, these will definitely be a staple.

Radish 'Scarlet Globe' - sown in window boxes every month and kept well watered in the polytunnel. Most get eaten on the spot, delicious.

Leeks 'Musselburgh' and 'Carlton' - grown from seed for the first time this year and looking great! I thought these were supposed to be a difficult veg to grow, but I've had no problems.

Aubergine 'Bonica' and 'Baby Belle' - yet to fruit, but 100% germination and lovely vigorous plants.

Out -

Aubergine 'De Barbentane' and 'Violetta di Firenze' - zero germination. ZERO!

Mangetout 'Can't remember the name but a yellow-podded type' - took over my poytunnel (never again will i grow peas of any kind in there) and pods turn from flat and floppy to bulbous and stringy seemingly overnight, though they seem to be better when grown outside.

Cauliflower 'Snowball' - been in ages and no sign of a head yet, feeble looking.
        He-Pep!

Comment

Also out:

Potatoes 'Pentland Javelin' - too pale and watery with little flavour.
          He-Pep!

Comment

Nothing to declare here, I'm still busy putting in.... Hope to be taking out soon.

Can't remember what peas I planted now, but the tips don't make great salad pickings.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Out: strawberries in containers, too few fruits. Direct sowing beans and mange touts, slow to germinate and the latter got devastated by weevils. Mint devastated by aphids becoming sticky.

In: Sungold toms, outside, very tasty, eat like fruit. Royal chantenay 3 carrots. Ben Lomond blackcurrants, very sweet. Paper lantern chilli if the pods taste good. Orange habanero chilli, an old favourite, good flavour. Herbs, all in beds, they even scare away the cats, and I eat them, the herbs that is. Courgette zuchini, seems okay.

Maybe: Squash, butternut, growing well but might try an alternative next year just to see.

The ~10 year old Rocoto chilli has a stay of execution due to putting on a burst of growth this year. Salsify will come back next year, but in big pots, ones in soil are a pain to harvest and clean, but it is nice to have something you can't buy in most shops.

I have been astonished at how well chillis are doing outside, my new glass cold frame has greatly benefitted the Capsicum annuum and Capsicum chinense but not Rocoto.

Comment

By the time I come to order seeds for next year I have forgotten what was good or bad this year. Plus I will be ordering winter cabbage seeds before this years have been eaten.

I gave up on cues, lettuce, cauliflowers, carrots and faffing around with fancy stuff that nobody will try a few years ago.
                Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Peas, any type - never again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
                  Bex

Comment

Yes I am adding peas to my out list, when space is at a premium peas take up a lot of room and create shade and a 12 ft row will just about provide two flippin meals. compare that to a 12 ft row of potatoes or tomatoes and its no contest. Oh for a bigger garden.
                    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I grow in containers but so far

OUT
                      Robin hood broad beans = lovely decorative little plants with beautiful flowers but hardly any crop, may grow 1 or 2 as for decoration next year at most

Tomaberry Tomatoes = feeble little things, Sungolds are about 3 times the size of these, just no vigor.

In
                      B&Q herb salad = from one window basket ive have so many leaves, really tasty
                      Cucumber Mini greenfingers, great tasting and I have so many little cucumbers on the plant
                      Firestorm Runner beans, my scarlets are not setting well so next year will try these self polinating ones.
                      Last edited by maverick451; 04-07-2014, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Brill idea for a thread VC - thanks everyone for the mine of info - will be returning to this list when it is seed-ordering time next year. My votes:

Spuds:
                        IN - Sarpo Axona - the plants look perfect
                        OUT - Maris Piper - leaves eaten to buggery

Toms:
                        IN - Latah - best grower and delicious fruits
                        OUT - all cherry toms, really gone off 'em

Cucs:

IN - Cucino, always a success
                        OUT - Moneymaker. Looking sad

Peas:

IN, IN, ALWAYS IN - Champion of England, the best pea known to humankind

Flowers:
                        IN - Sweet peas Romeo and Raspberry Flake - beautiful and scented.

Courgettes and Squashes:
                        IN - Crown Prince and Striato di Napoli
                        OUT - Black Beauty and Burgess Buttercup. No luck with either after several years of trying

Carrots:
                        IN - Long Lisse de Meaux
                        OUT - Early Nantes

OUT - Golden Chard
                        OUT - Garlic in general, I'm fed up of unimpressive small bulbs and it always goes bad before we can use it all.
                        My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Another OUT for me
                          Twinkle "pattypan" squash - huge plants, sprawling all over the place and I'm still waiting to see a little flying saucer that's bigger than a £2 coin. As for stuffing them as suggested by the seed company - would that be one grain of rice or two
                          Total waste of space

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Another OUT for me
                            Twinkle "pattypan" squash - huge plants, sprawling all over the place and I'm still waiting to see a little flying saucer that's bigger than a £2 coin. As for stuffing them as suggested by the seed company - would that be one grain of rice or two
                            Total waste of space
                            That made me laugh so much ha ha
                            Nannys make memories

Comment

No outs...but a definite in.....Firestorm Runner Bean, was sceptical as is self fertile but huge setting success...and very tasty too

Comment

I'm growing Firestorm too for the first time - undercover in a polytunnel. Its cropping well so agreed - its IN for me too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X