No announcement yet.

What's in, What's out for next year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies to Marketmore cucumbers, which I said were OUT this year (also called them Moneymaker, adding insult to injury). Have had 2 nice cucs now and they have withstood the gale force winds in the garden to boot. Sorry, MMs, you are now back IN.
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

In - potatoes - Maris piper, I know bit early for main crop but couldn't wait. Just had a couple for tea and they were amazingly tasty!

Out - tomato - moneymaker - boring!

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

IN Lord Leicester peas, Trail of Tears and Greek Gigantes beans, Purple mountain orach (German Spinach),

Not decided on the others yet
        Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

IN
          Alderman climbing peas. A huge crop from a tiny space and no pesky maggots in the, not one.

Red Baron onions. Rock solid, a bit variable in size but that's a benefit really - sometimes you only need a small one sometimes a big one.

Lady Di runner beans - not a string in sight even the big ones.

Marketmore cucumbers, tasty, reliable and lots of them.

Sungold and Gardener's Delight - who needs chocs when you have these, so sweet and reliable too.

Alicante - masses of large tasty tomatoes

MAYBE IN MAYBE OUT
          Eskimo carrots - tasty yes, reliable yes, but they fork horribly on my soil.

OUT
          The Sutton broad bean, just didn't work for me this year. They grew well but the crop was small.

Boltardy beetroot - was it too dry or what?

Little Gem lettuce - I had lots of small thinnings at the beginning of the season, each enough for a salad sandwich but I can't seem to get them past the "small" stage.

White Lisbon spring onions - they've been a joke for several years now and I've lost patience.

AWAITING JUDGEMENT
          Late summer planted Pentland Javelin. Late planted potatoes work a treat for me normally, this is a new variety I'm trying. Results will be in October time.

Reddy Spinach from seed late summer planting - just gone into pots, results should be in October time.

Comment

OUT: Gooseberries. Going to dig them up. Got a home for one of them. No one eats them. They were nice in a mixed fruit jam though ...but I have enough fruit without having more.

IN: Am going to look at the seeds I didn't plant this year.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
              OUT: Gooseberries. Going to dig them up. Got a home for one of them. No one eats them. They were nice in a mixed fruit jam though
              They make a fab gooseberry curd.

Comment

OUT: mangetout peas, outdoor tomatoes (blight is too disappointing), sweet peppers, lady christl spuds, maincrop spuds in anything other than bags, marketmore cukes, sweetpeas - unless I can grow beans amongst them that is.

IN: as much of everything else as I can cram in, but definitely rosa bianca aubergines, red gooseberries, strawberries, little gem lettuce, achocha, padron peppers, parsnips, watermelon (outside, in our climate - genius!) and many, many squashes.
                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                  watermelon (outside, in our climate - genius!)
                  What variety?
                  "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Out - sweet peppers, and possibly all chillis except Cayenne. Having nurtured all these plants from early February, I resent them refusing to ripen and then going rotten on the plant while still green. I do want to try 'Padron' next year though.

Out - anything but cherry tomatoes, for the same reason as above - if things didn't ripen this year, they're never going to ripen!

Out (regretfully), aubergines. After another year of failure I just can't justify the space and attention they take. They look great until they start to flower and then they just go rotten and die.
                    He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                      What variety?
                      whoops, didn't see this, sorry.

Red Star F1

Comment

OUT - Sweetcorn, unless someone can advise a variety I am capable of growing (normally get small cobs, patchy corn on said cobs).

OUT - Dwarf beans (take up too much space for the yield I managed).

OUT - 50% of the tomato varieties grown this year > 20 varieties is toooooo much.

IN - More squashes

IN - ? undecided
                        While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

and padron peppers are very tasty, and prolific. Mine are merrily still going.

Comment

A long time ago:-

Out - any spring onions In - Everlasting onion (plant and forget, occasionally divide)
                            Out - green gooseberries In - red gooseberries (sweeter and yummier)

For next year:-

Out - aubergine (any traditional purple type - moneymaker, black beauty etc I have never got anything worth talking about. I know it is probably me but time for a change)

In - aubergine (turkish orange, bianca sfumata rosa - this is last chance saloon for aubs.)

Out - Melon (petit gris de reines - first year a few non exciting fruits, this year plants that reluctantly grew 2ft and refused to do anything)

In - Melon ( sweet baby melon and sugar baby watermelon)

Oh and Noos, if you are reading how would you describe the taste of your champion of england peas? I find mine a bit dry and floury, fine for cooking but that is about it.
                            or anyone else that grows that variety

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                              Oh and Noos, if you are reading how would you describe the taste of your champion of england peas? I find mine a bit dry and floury, fine for cooking but that is about it.
                              or anyone else that grows that variety
                              I find them really good both raw and steamed, they're on my always grow list. Quick question though, what else do you want to do with them? I eat some raw as I'm picking but 90% are for cooking by steaming for a couple of mins. As with all peas I do either eat that day or freeze immediately as otherwise you lose that lovely sweetness. The only really floury ones I've had are some purple podded ones. Didn't grow those again.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                                Quick question though, what else do you want to do with them?

Most of the peas I grow never make the kitchen as they get eaten where they grow, but the old champs do - so I suppose it is kind of a good thing. Also when I say cooking I tend to mean hidden away in soups, stews and such likes, not cooked and served by themselves. I sometimes use peas raw in salads as well. Varieties I always grow are colossal climbing, greengage and feltham first all have a nice sweetness. I am also working my way through various petit pois varieties but none are on my always list yet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X