Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilli Plants-No taste, no heat!

Hello there

First time on this forum, but hoping that someone out there can help with a real puzzler.

Last year I grew chilli plants from seed for the first time. They grew beautifully and produced loads of fruit. But they never turned red and everytime we tried them, they tasted bitter and had no heat. We were so disappointed, especially as all the plants I gave away were fine! We did have ours in a good hot spot in the garden.

Where did I go wrong?!!!

Many thanks

Kim

Did you grow them from seeds which were in a chilli you bought, or was it a named variety from a seed company?

Comment

It was a named variety from seed company. One was Thai Dragon and I can't remember the other variety.

Comment

Having another go this year with Thai dragon which I bought at the Chilli Fiesta last year and would be really upset if I got it wrong again, although I will persevere!

Comment

How strange - and interesting.

If all the plants you gave away did ok, it must be something to do with your growing conditions. Although it was "a sunny spot", perhaps you could try putting them in a greenhouse/ mini greenhouse. My chillis (Apache) love it in the heat of my greenhouse - they tolerate anything, apparently. The chillis are vicious!

Comment

Someone told us we are supposed to treat them a bit mean and not water them too much. Do you think that would have made a difference?! So far I have kept them in the greenhouse, so think I will now keep them in there for the duration!

Comment

They don't need masses of water, no, but obviously they do need a regular supply if they are in a pot.

I think it's worth keeping them in the greenhouse and seeing if it makes a difference.

Comment

Hi Kimbo!

If they are tastless then its probably that they arent fully ripe, we've had the same with some Naga Jolokia's that look ripe, but I've been told to leave them a good month yet, they need some good heat to get that hot taste and start to heat up! The other thing we've been told is to treat em mean, the worse condition the soil is in the hotter the chilli, and dont overwater! Hope thats of some help!
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Hello there

We threw the whole lot last year as we thought we just had duds, so Mrs Dobby, if we had kept them a bit longer they may have ripen?!!! Grhh, really annoyed with myself. Still, its all a learning process isn't it.

Thank you to everyone for your help and wish me luck for this year's crop!

Kimbo

Comment

Definitely keep them going for a long time. I grew Jalepeno chillis last year and they only went fully bright red in September and October despite planting them quite early in the year. As everyone has said above they will take a lot of abuse so they are ideal for the lazy/forgetful gardener!!
                    http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Gardening does teach you to be patient, if not unlazy!

Thanks Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
                        Definitely keep them going for a long time. I grew Jalepeno chillis last year and they only went fully bright red in September and October despite planting them quite early in the year. As everyone has said above they will take a lot of abuse so they are ideal for the lazy/forgetful gardener!!
                        Matt, can you just give me some pointers for the Jalepeno please? My Mother in law has asked me to babysit her Jalepeno plant as I have recently started growing stuff (for the first time!!).

Obviously, my life won't be worth living if this thing dies on me.

At the moment, it looks as though there are two sproutings. Should I separate these out? Only a few (small) leaves on one of them at the moment, and a few smaller ones on the other one.

At the moment, it's in my south facing conservatory with a lot of sunshine throughout the day.

Any hints and tips would be welcome.

thanks,

syanide

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X