No announcement yet.

Ex-hurricane Bertha this weekend

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just in case I have just been out to make sure my raspberry canes are all secure. Autumn ones are six ft high and berries are just turning red.
    I'd be gutted if they snapped in the wind.
    Better to be safe......

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

This wind chart is amazing

earth :: an animated map of global wind, weather, and ocean conditions

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
        Welcome to the vine skeggijon. Being a Leicester lass, I'm guessing your location is Lincolnshire coast? Hope the PT stands up to the expected winds safely.
        Pretty good guess lol.
        What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
        Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
          Welcome to the vine Skeggijohn, if the PT is well anchored down & braced it should be fine. Fingers crossed for you & everyone else with structures...............including mine.....
          I've anchored it down with posts sunk in each corner, plus used ratchet straps attached to those screw in anchors - oh and all trenched in of course, so heres hoping. Good luck to everyone else too.
          What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
          Pumpkin pi.

Comment

^^^ brill link!

I thought it was pretty windy outside- we're just catching the southern bit of it.

...funnily enough it looks like there's a couple of wormholes!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

A little wind a little rain, no harm, just good at this time.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

We have had loads of rain and a bit of wind. We will have to dig some serious drainage ditches/trenches the whole garden is flooded. It just can't cope with heavy downpours. It does usually drain away in 2 or three days.
                Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Well...we certainly had a fair share of the blustery wind and heavy downfall!

Just walked home after a wonderful supper at a friend's house in a T shirt in the light of a huuuuge full moon!

No need for a torch...wonderful star lit sky.....fantastic!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Did you see any meteors Nicos?
                    2014 Perseid meteor shower
                    The moon is still behind the hill here - not yet risen. The sky is black and starry and there's very little street lighting to interfere. Always hopeful

Comment

Aw... there went my sunflower.

No other damage that I can see through the window but it's still blowing a hoolie.
                      When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
                      If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        Well...we certainly had a fair share of the blustery wind and heavy downfall!

Just walked home after a wonderful supper at a friend's house in a T shirt in the light of a huuuuge full moon!

No need for a torch...wonderful star lit sky.....fantastic!

Your friend has a house in a T-shirt???
                        The proof of the growing is in the eating.
                        Leave Rotten Fruit.
                        Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
                        Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
                        Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

here in the SE we missed most of the stormy weather, but we are getting some sharp showers today.

Huge full moon last night, beautiful to see

Comment

Very windy and rainy through evening, night and this morning. Came home last night having left 2 Velux windows open in our bedroom - the carpet was sodden and even the end of the bed was damp! This morning, there's lots of damage to my square foot garden. 3 x PSBs have blown over and the French beans have had many leaves and stems torn off. Absolutely gutted!! This gardening lark is an emotional roller coaster. But as Mr Noosner wisely (and annoyingly) said 'there are always going to be ups and downs.'
                            My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

That's my young sweetcorn flattened. They are in a raised bed in a part of my garden that really gets the wind full-on in the winter, but I wasn't expecting anything like this in August so I made no effort to protect the beds. My carrots and beets are a lot lower than they were a day ago, and my courgettes are getting shredded thanks to sail-like big leaves.

At least the poly sheet roof on the hen run is holding on - as are the hens.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

I feel like crying at the bloomin wind. It has made a mess of my beans and peas, stripped the leaves off one type I just hope they can recover. After half a dozen attempts just to get them started this is how they look today.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by veggiechicken; 11-08-2014, 05:27 PM. Reason: Putting KCN's beansticks upright again.
                                When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
                                If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X