Ex-hurricane Bertha this weekend

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KittyColdNose View Post
    I feel like crying at the bloomin wind. It has made a mess of my beans and peas, stripped the leaves off one type I just hope they can recover. After half a dozen attempts just to get them started this is how they look today.
    Poor things were horizontal. I've straightened 'em the best I can.............

Attached Files
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Snap BM, I've just done the same with them - poor things won't know what they're doing

Comment

Was unbelievably windy here over the weekend. Wondered why, now I know ( yes my head has been in sand for the past couple if weeks).

Belting down here at the mo too.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by KittyColdNose View Post
          I feel like crying at the bloomin wind. It has made a mess of my beans and peas, stripped the leaves off one type I just hope they can recover. After half a dozen attempts just to get them started this is how they look today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48365[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48363[/ATTACH]

been really rough here today as well. The canes I grow my exhibition peas up are at 45 degrees. Weeks and weeks of daily attention for nowt as the pods which should have a lovely bloom and be blemish free are bashed and bruised. I feel the same. You have my sympaffy KCN xx

Comment

A few of my bean teepees are down, and the biggest sunflowers. Also down was my 7ft seeding beetroot, but its seeds are still going to be OK
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Sorry to read of the damage sustained by KCN and AP. It's heart-breaking after all the hard work, whether you grow to eat or to show.

I have been very fortunate in spite of vicious winds, only leaf damage, nothing down.

I thought everything would be knocked over after the winds yesterday but it's all crammed so close, the toms were sheltered by the beans which are growing up the sunflowers which were protected by the raspberries which are secured to the fence (which has concreted-in posts), and the whole lot sheltered the brassica cage and the sweet peas behind it.
              Last edited by mothhawk; 11-08-2014, 07:18 PM. Reason: spellink
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Just got back from a long weekend away to find my five-planter runner bean frame with around 40 bean plants 9 feet tall laying completely horizontal on a load of courgettes! I dashed out there, managed to pick the whole structure up to find no damage to either the beans or courgettes, except for a few bent courgette leaves phew!

Bearing in mind I stripped all medium and large pods off on Thursday, I picked around 2kg runners this evening. Perhaps there's something to be said for laying down on the job! Less gravity to fight against I suppose...

Comment

Sorry to hear that people have had things damaged. My beans look a bit drunk, but have just about held up. Some of the tomato plants are a bit worse for wear with bent over stems, a couple of which are badly split. Knowing that tomatoes are pretty good at surviving this sort of thing, I'm going to leave them and see what happens. The main casualty was the fruit cage, but that fell down before Bertha even arrived!
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Got up on Sunday morning to find half of my plum tree lying on the ground. With the heavy rain, the wind and the weight of the plums the branch broke off completely. The worst thing is the plums are only beginning to ripen.
                    Is there any way I can ripen them enough to make jam? they are still on the branch.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I just saw the Scottish forecast: looks like heavy rain tomorrow. Not what we need after a day of gales.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                        Got up on Sunday morning to find half of my plum tree lying on the ground. With the heavy rain, the wind and the weight of the plums the branch broke off completely. The worst thing is the plums are only beginning to ripen.
                        Is there any way I can ripen them enough to make jam? they are still on the branch.
                        I haven't grown plums myself, but most fruit will ripen if you keep it for a while, providing that the process has started. I would pick the plums and lay them out in a single layer, and keep an eye on them in case any are bruised and go rotten. If you leave them on the ground the slugs will have them before they ripen.
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

It was raining all night here again in Biblical proportions - and really chilly. But I'd staked the PSB plants yesterday and wired my bean construction onto what is left of the fence, and the whole thing survived the night. My tattered French beans have even grown a centimetre or two over the last couple of days and my outdoor cucumber produced three more little cucs!
                          My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

This weather is nuts. I've not been able to get to the lottie since Friday with the weather being so bad. It seems to be nice all day long and then when I leave work the heavens open. I've got soaked to the skin two nights in a row now just walking to my car.

I need to get there tonight come hell or high water, my beans will stop producing otherwise and my courgettes will be marrows.
                            Bex

Comment

Noticed one of our small, but heavily laden apple trees on it's side.
                              Half the rootball is attached so we've staked it and are crossing our fingers it will recover.

I think it'll always be vulnerable now?

Gutted really cos it's a 12 yr old tree which has struggled after we moved it here 6 years ago from our UK plot and thus was it's first year it was back to fruiting heavily....typical eh?
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                                Noticed one of our small, but heavily laden apple trees on it's side.
                                Half the rootball is attached so we've staked it and are crossing our fingers it will recover.

I think it'll always be vulnerable now?

Gutted really cos it's a 12 yr old tree which has struggled after we moved it here 6 years ago from our UK plot and thus was it's first year it was back to fruiting heavily....typical eh?
                                i had to do the same to a plum tree 3 years ago and it seemed to breath new life into it.Hope the same applies to your apple

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X