No announcement yet.

No dig: the farmers are catching on

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As this map shows http://www.thedairysite.com/articles...september-2008 livestock are not evenly distributed through the UK which means lots of arable crops are grown with no animal manure input at all - all artificials. I have tried to find a map showing earthworm densities across the UK but failed. I know that 30 odd years ago there were fields in East Anglia where "no" earthworms could be found.

My abiding memory is watching fields in the Fenns burning weeks after straw burning because they had had such intense fires that the peat was on fire.
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
      As this map shows http://www.thedairysite.com/articles...september-2008 livestock are not evenly distributed through the UK which means lots of arable crops are grown with no animal manure input at all - all artificials. I have tried to find a map showing earthworm densities across the UK but failed. I know that 30 odd years ago there were fields in East Anglia where "no" earthworms
      My abiding memory is watching fields in the Fenns burning weeks after straw burning because they had had such intense fires that the peat was on fire.
      Not all artificials now, the cost is too prohibitive, hence human waste is used more widely, at £10 per ton as opposed to £120 for artificial.........

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        They burned not just the stubble, but any ground nesting chicks too, plus anything else eg beneficial insects, that couldn't get away
        Quite right, as my next line went onto say, and rabbits, hares, leverets, not to mention all the hedges that got destroyed with all its inhabitants.

I am sad to say that I was the one with the matches for a good few years, we did not know any better at the time, business can be a terrible thing, its about making money/ways of life rather than what was best for our surroundings.
        Last edited by Rob the Radish; 06-10-2014, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Rob the Radish, so nice to see someone recognising when things aren't in best interest. It's the denial that irks me.
          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X