Seed sowing tips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by planetologist View Post
    You can eat your potatoes and grow them by taking off the sprouts around March/April, planting them indoors and eating the rest of the potato. Then plant out the sprouts after the last frost.

I tend to sow leeks around 21 December indoors. In a year with a mild winter they get planted out late March. Some of these will start bolting and get eaten in late summer. The ones that don't bolt get eaten over winter.

I try to give my roots lots of space, carrots and parsnips around 1/4 m2. They will be bigger then and be less work cleaning. When I'm organised I interplant with fast growing crops, but lettuce and radish need to be sown later, so I often forget.

If I have holes among early sown crops I fill those with late sown crops like florence fennel, swede and chinese cabbage.
    I am really interested in this! Do you just stick the sprouts into a pot of compost then plant underground when planting out???

Comment

Originally posted by planetologist View Post
      You can eat your potatoes and grow them by taking off the sprouts around March/April, planting them indoors and eating the rest of the potato. Then plant out the sprouts after the last frost.
      Not sure I quite know what you mean, do you mean that you chit the potatoes (presumably in the dark to avoid them going green) then plant up the chit and eat the spud?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        My favourite tool is my roll of masking tape. Place your Parsnip, Carrot, Beetroot seeds along the tape @ 3" intervals, fold in half (so 1" wide tape becomes 1/2" wide) & you have your own made seed tape............simples & it works.
        Hi Mally
        i read this last year when they used to do them in newspaper and somebody suggested masking tape.
        (and i did not know if it would work or not,and didnt hear no more .
        I was gonna do it this year and ask you how you went on .
        But now i know it works so thanks mate will give it a go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X