Seed Potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
    Bigmally,the tool looks useful for potato as well, will experiment with it for parlty.
    It's my all time favourite tool for planting Potatoes & Bulbs. My other favourite tool is a pointy stick which I use for planting onion sets...................Excuse my ignorance but what is parlty?
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

hi, it is 'partly' ,sorry for the typo. If sow potatos with tool u suggested, can we get normal crop compared to covering potatos with compost on the ground? as the actual ground is not worked for the last 2 years and I just covered it with plastic recently?

Comment

We plant potatoes out two plants a week and that seems to do us all year round. I keep the ones harvested in the fridge and they keep great for up to a month. We do use a lot of potatoes like lol. I don't buy bags of seed potatoes now. Instead we go to the shop and buy a couple of each variety we like and place them in a cardboard egg box until they sprout then plant them out.

Comment

Gema

Thats lovely. do you grow potatos indoors during winter months is it?

Comment

If sow potatos with tool u suggested, can we get normal crop compared to covering potatos with compost on the ground?
            Yes, you will get the same crop plus the potatoes will break up the soil & help with digging when you harvest them.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Gema

Thats lovely. do you grow potatos indoors during winter months is it?
              We are in Scotland so we cheat a little with artificial lights and a heated polytunnel

Comment

Did write to seed potatos company I have ordered with mentioning that I have ordered too much for my need . Thankfully they accepted for changing the order and returned the ampunt for cancelled items.

Now I have around 6kg or 60 seed potatos of 3 types early,second and main. Still they look many but as we keep more seeds just incase and experimiting.

Just wanted to share this with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Yes, you will get the same crop plus the potatoes will break up the soil & help with digging when you harvest them.

Bigmally,

In that case I have clear all couch gross before using the tool for sowing potatos right.

undug coach gross beds should never be dug I started to feel. This doesn't seems non digging gardening is very practical with gorilla gardeners. am trapped now.

Comment

I have around 6kg or 60 seed potatos of 3 types early,second and main. Still they look many
                    We grow about 6kg of seed potatoes. We are not big potato eaters, and its the right amount for what we need, so I doubt it will be too much for you (provided you have space to grow them)
                    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen
                      (provided you have space to grow them)
                      should be having enough space for early types . for mains If I do not find convenient space then try few in pots.
                      Last edited by veggiechicken; 13-01-2015, 08:52 PM. Reason: fixing quote

Comment

I think Earlies would be better in pots - you can start them early (February) and put them somewhere around 10C until the leaves are up, then they need greenhouse / conservatory (so if no conservatory plant later! but you can still keep them indoors at 10C - 15C for several weeks until they are in leaf)

You can then bring pots in on frosty nights - garage will do.

You will get early potatoes when they are expensive in the shops.

Main crop will give you a better yield, and be easier to look after, in the ground. Hence I would calculate how much space you have and if not enough then grow 1st Early in containers.

Earlies 12"-15" apart, with 15"-20" between rows
                        Maincrop 15" apart, with 30" between rows
                        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

K,

will fallow your suggetion and grow all earlies in green house , in that case get more time to weeding the early potato bed and use it for mains.

Comment

Can I keep the chitted 2nd earlies upto august and plant then?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X