Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been quite busy sowing various things, tidying up and flitting from one thing to another.

Potted on some Toms at lunchtime, revitalised some spent compost with coir and bf'n'b and then (ssh!) sowed a few witkiem broadies directly in the soil. (ssh!). We don't want the voles to find out so keep it under your hat. You ain't seen me, right?
    While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

• I spent a few more hours weeding. I got all the couch grass from another bed and also finished hand-weeding my garlic. It's looking quite good now, as in this picture.

I was thinking about netting it in case there are any allium leaf mining flies about, but I haven't got any spare hoops. Maybe I'll rig something up with canes and hosepipe later in the week.
      Attached Files
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Sowed 12 field beans and 12 sugar snap peas in root trainers. Will keep them in the house until they germinate, then out to the greenhouse.
        He-Pep!

Comment

• Ive finished my strawberry table top frame, it can hold 6 grow bags, I saw agriframes do a nice metal one but its way out of my budget so made my own

Attached Files

Comment

• Today I cleared another allotment bed (and surrounding paths) of weeds.

Also I treaded and raked the area for my new lawn. I just need to get some sharp sand and mpc to build it up another two inches and I'll be ready to sow at the end of the month!

Attached Files

Comment

• Dug up the last of the Parsnips. More than I expected and some are as long as my arm and as thick as my wrist. I am hoping to utilise some of these in Parsnip Wine. Gave that bed a bit of a weed and a lazy dig. Potted on a few more toms. Put some module sown broad bean seedlings in the ground. Then my time was up and I shuffled back to work.
              While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

• Went down the local fishmarket and bought some fish for tea. Also bagged one of those polystyrene fish boxes to sow leeks in 'ala Kristen'. Hope the fishy smell doesn't somehow transfer to the leeks!
                He-Pep!

Comment

• Spent a happy afternoon down the allotment in the sun. Got two more paving slab steps done - now have a total of five steps on the steepest slope - no more muddy bum for me! Laid weed-suppressing membrane on 3 of the paths between the veg beds. Trying to kill off the couch grass then re-seed with clover instead. Need to get some pegs, at the moment it is held down with a random assortment of bricks, logs, and full watering cans - a wee bit messy
                  Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

• sowed some seeds ,planted bulbs,and made a start on the pond area,the bulbs from preveous years are coming up nice now,area is looking much better
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Spent a few hours at the allotment - one more bed cleared of couch, dock and bindweed roots, just two left to go - then came home and potted up some rooted Chrysanth cuttings.

Comment

• Pond spring clean.
                        Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Bought a goat willow tree to plant near the pond. Had to have our lovely dog put down on Tuesday and so, this is in memory of where he liked to lay in the summer, sharing a bag of crips with me
                          You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

• So sorry Ancee ((((Hugs))))
                            Its a lovely way to remember him.
                            Last edited by veggiechicken; 06-03-2015, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• Went to the plot with the intention of sowing seeds in cells but realised I was in my very slim 'hoeing window' and made the most of it. I'm on heavy clay so it's been too wet to do much clearing of weeds until now, but I need to crack on before it gets too hard to work.

It was really heartening to be able to hoe all the weeds in 2 big beds (apart from couch grass on some corners/edges) which means I have much less to dig than I thought and I can focus all my efforts on the couch grass!

Comment

• Found my tin of tomato seed packets that had mysteriously disappeared about 6 years ago. Spent the afternoon sowing them. Some of them are 8 year old now. I will be so interested to see if any of them germinate at all.
                                There was also some chilli seeds among them but I don't think there is any chance any of these will germinate.

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X