Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidied up the bottom greenhouse a bit. Still more to do.

Made a framed poly 'lid' for one of my water tank planters. It's kinda apex like so the rain should drain off. The frame sits under the lip - so hopefully it won't blow away. Got fed up with the makeshift cover (two transparent plastic sacks) chasing the plastic around and having to refit it after the rain made it sag was becoming a chore! Hopefully the carrots will like it and germinate now.
    While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

• Sowed 20 Tomato seeds................needed a lie down after that...........
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Sowed some gazania, zinnia, nicotiana and radish seeds in the greenhouse. Pricked out some cabbage seedlings and some nasturtiums too.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Pricked out aubergines and chillies, replanted the strawberry bag for the youngest Golden Girl, sowed runner beans, kidney beans and tomatoes

You're not quite in the right place Kris, but don't worry, someone will be along to move your post. Welcome to the Vine and yes, I'd soak the nettles in a bucket of water, it makes brilliant, if very smelly, liquid feed. Comfrey works well too
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Kris - I've moved your post to http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ots_84311.html
            Welcome to the Vine

Comment

• This evening after work I dug over a 'no dig' bed!

Let me explain.I use all manor of organic carp on my beds to keep down weeds and nourish the soil. The bed in question had all my Comfrey leaves and stalks placed on it from the last cutting of the year before the frost got it. This was a one foot thick pile of organic matter dumped on the bed. I then covered it with cardboard and covered that with sawdust based hoss muck that hadn't been composted.
              Rather than put my onion sets directly into this lasagne type of bed I decided to tickle it all together with a fork this evening. I was glad I did because the dry winter has meant that the worms couldn't get through the comfrey, cardboard and muck to incorporate it.
              To be honest it took very little time, maybe 5 minutes to tickle over a bed 4 foot by 10 foot and its now ready for planting onion sets.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Potted on some cabbages, pricked out cabbages, caulis, kale, sprouts and PSB. And sowed some more sprouts.
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Potted a few things on, tidied up some more (lots of tidying to do, I was quite, um... lazy over the winter).
                  While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    This evening after work I dug over a 'no dig' bed!

Let me explain.I use all manor of organic carp on my beds to keep down weeds and nourish the soil. The bed in question had all my Comfrey leaves and stalks placed on it from the last cutting of the year before the frost got it. This was a one foot thick pile of organic matter dumped on the bed. I then covered it with cardboard and covered that with sawdust based hoss muck that hadn't been composted.
                    Rather than put my onion sets directly into this lasagne type of bed I decided to tickle it all together with a fork this evening. I was glad I did because the dry winter has meant that the worms couldn't get through the comfrey, cardboard and muck to incorporate it.
                    To be honest it took very little time, maybe 5 minutes to tickle over a bed 4 foot by 10 foot and its now ready for planting onion sets.
                    Am new and confused- I thought onions didn't like manure. Grateful for any info!
                    No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Kris - I've moved your post to http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ots_84311.html
                      Welcome to the Vine
                      Thank you, sorry about mistake! Many thanks to all for kind welcome messages. I'm afraid that I have many questions but luckily for all I also have large and long-untended allottment that takes dawn till dusk graft, when I am not working. After a year it is still one forward and several dozen back! Perversely, I derive an enormous amount of joy from an aching back as I shift dirt and muck about for the reward of bolted cabbages and hints of new seedlings.
                      No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Originally posted by kris1960 View Post
                        Am new and confused- I thought onions didn't like manure. Grateful for any info!
                        Carrots & Parsnips tend not to do so well in manure as they twist & fork.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Planted 6 Charlotte potatoes in barrels.

Emptied the entire contents of my cold frame in a mission to find whatever it is that has been shaving the tops off ALL my spinach and beetroot seedlings as soon as they come up in modules. Found the bugger hiding under a bit of wood - a big fat leopard slug. That one slug has set me back a couple of weeks!
                          Last edited by bario1; 31-03-2015, 09:01 AM.
                          He-Pep!

Comment

• Started to plan out where I'm going to put my cigarettes & pumpkins and work out how many to sow. Realised how many varieties I have and had to go online to order cook books.

101 Ways to cook zucchini - not sure that's enough.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                              Started to plan out where I'm going to put my cigarettes & pumpkins and work out how many to sow. Realised how many varieties I have and had to go online to order cook books.

101 Ways to cook zucchini - not sure that's enough.
                              Put your Cigarettes?

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                Put your Cigarettes?
                                Burl Ives used to sing about them...
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3lYqTAlnE
                                Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X