Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've just started a new job so have been getting minimal time to do stuff in the garden, and no time to chat about it.

So, catching up with the last week -

I've had to pull two of the courgette plants as they got mould/mildew? I blame the weather. The other three plants seem to have gone into overdrive to compensate though.

The cucumbers may have been slightly overwatered as I kept anticipating some sunshine to heat up the greehouse. They didn't like that and keeled over and died. They've been removed from the greenhouse now and I've rearranged it to give more room to the peppers and chillis.

The peppers were looking a bit squashed and I'd had to put some of them onto the floor, where they were very much in the way. It looks much better now and I'm hoping the extra air and light will help them to ripen. There is one ripe chilli on one plant so here's hoping.

I was a bit worried about the label in the Apache chillis. I got them from Notcutts when my seeds didn't seem to want to sprout. (they all sprouted nicely once I took the Apache home). According to the label these chillis are HUGE, so I'm really, really hoping it's a misprint
    Attached Files

Comment

• Today's report from the Lost Gardens of Haringey.

From under 6 foot of brambles and weeds, we have found a path! We cleared the brambles last year and it's only today as OH cleared the geraniums from under the plum tree that he found a hidden path with paving stones and everything.

The path curves beautifully and so my Mediterrean herb bed is going to be extended

We got my new blueberry and cranberry planted, and goodness the cranberry has long stems. They trailed all the way down the big pot the blueberry is in and half way to Europe. I gave one a hair cut, curved the other two around the blueberry and established a creche for the cuttings.

Comment

• Other than checking the watering and examining the chillis to see if any more of them wanted to turn red yet, I did nothing in the garden.

In the house however, I spent a happy couple of hours with a seed catalogue and a big notepad. I do love the planning bit

Comment

• Dug up some tatties for supper. Planted a PSB in there place.Planted some potbound dwarf frenchies where some Kale had failed.
          Planted out a Goji berry plant which was wilting in the pot for lack of water, along with a red Heuchera similarly affected. Watered all indoor stuff and left with the tatties,some eggs and a bunch of grapes!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Managed to finally clear the last of the tunnel beds. Planted 35 various spring Brassicas. Knocked up a couple of cages. Partially stripped the strawberry bed & runners.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Grabbed a few stuff from the Lottie!

Don't ya just love this time of year!

Weekend off too! May get my spring stuff in time committing!
              Attached Files
              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Oh! I actually grew a few half decent carrots! ...............Yay!
                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Planted some Tulips, checked the Atlantic Giant Pumpkins - I'm going to need help to move the largest one come harvest time - I tried moving it and it didn't budge an inch!
                  Checked my Fenella Strawberries. They're swelling nicely and very prolific, but the weather's not being good to them. Still managed to get a handful of ripe ones from them today though.
                  What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                  Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• Weeded a path edge, the onions and the PSB. Watered courgettes, pumpkin, Godzilla (should be a Crown Prince, but isn't) and swedes. Harvested some stuff. Talked to some butterflies. Apologetically squished their offspring.

Comment

• Cleared out some Tomato plants that had finished
                      Ordered some winter green manure mix
                      Received and read through new suttons seed catalogue.

Comment

• This week I have mainly been making preserves

Wednesday

4 x plum and apple mincemeat
                        3 x bramley sauce
                        3.5 x apple, pear and ginger mincemeat.
                        6 x mulled cider pears

Yesterday

3 x tomato and chilli jam

Hopefully today

6 x mulled wine pears

They look so pretty all lined up. I have a confession, I have already eaten one jar of pears - so much for winter stores

Comment

• *arrives on Norfolkgrey's doorstep with a basket and a hopeful expression*

Comment

• ^^^^^Here you go, have some virtual preserves. I also done swapsies today for some of my Dads pickled veg.

The mince pies will have to wait until after the weekend
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Lots of weeding. Dug a 'shy' of Elfe potatoes which look good. Broody hen now got some fertile eggs under her. Got her own water and food supply.......now its up to her.
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• [Yesterday] Dug up another two rows of tatties (7 haulms, if you want to be precise). A few, incredibly randomly, are soft and rotting with blight, which is weird because they aren't the one whose foliage were showing signs. Due to 4year old assisting, we now know that this dig produced 127 potatoes. He likes counting... Also harvested another carrier of runner beans, and was incredibly proud of my usually impulsive, can be destructive, often hyperactive 4yo when he said, "No, this one's a bit small, we'll leave it to grow for a bit." *happy tears*

Today, said 4yo decided to wake up at 5.30, so since Daddy was on school run duty I abandoned them for an hour on the plot before work. Dug over, raked and prepped a seed bed for some spinach. Sowed and cloched it. Who knows, it might actually grow.... Picked a handful of late sown mangetout to have with lunch (which also features own beetroot and salads....).

(LOVE it Norfolk!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X