X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spunky View Post
    Set up my swanky new light thing woo hoo
    "Spunky" Remember you posting this which drew my interest!

Just wondering how Ya got on with it? You may have posted n I missed it!

Have been a little busy!

Any good?
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Dug a couple of beds

Helped construct a composter

Lots of to-ing and fro-ing for straw, chicken feed, tools etc.

Chatted to my new allotment neighbours

Comment

• Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
        "Spunky" Remember you posting this which drew my interest!

Just wondering how Ya got on with it? You may have posted n I missed it!

Have been a little busy!

Any good?
        Really happy deano it runs a bit hot so I've put some small fans next to it
        I can get 18 plants in 3" pots more if you need to but you'd have to raise the light which sort of defeats the object, I've got peppers on my window that have been under it since January so can't be happier it's helped me get a good start!

Comment

• today

Managed to finally get a proper gate fixed to the in-law's veggie patch to stop those pesky dogs digging up the new shoots and piddling on the plants.

Can't get anything else planted out just yet, but considering an asparagus bed in trough containers so I can take it with us when we move out. Has anyone got any previous experience with asparagus' in containers?

Comment

• Cheers "Spunky"

That rig really drew my attention!

With Daughters now growing up n moving on! Thinking of turning the little "Box Bedroom" into a dedicated "Grow Room" and the said rig looked ideal!

Idea in the making!

So cheers for that!
            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Richie! Never grown em in "Troughs" but would think as they are a plant once in, take a good three years to establish! Sure you'd get away with it!

Am sure someone else shall be along soon with a better understanding!

Comment

• Sown this morning -
                Aubergines - Moneymaker, Black Beauty & Black Round
                Chillies - Habenero Orange, Scotch Bonnet & Spanish Naga
                Tomatoes - Bloody Butcher, Sun Belle, San Marzano, Tigerella, Moneymaker, Striped Stuffer, Ailsa Craig & Pomodoro
                Sweet Peppers - Maor, Golden Californian Wonder & Marconi Red
                Leeks - Hannibal, Elefant, Musselburgh & Bleu de Solaise
                Cucumbers - Alficoz (Spanish bendy ones), Burpless Tasty Green & Marketmore.
                Melons - Yellow Gold Canari

I'm done now - time for a rest
                Just think happy thoughts

Comment

• Yesterday I sowed some more carrots - Paris Market 5 - and some more radishes - French Breakfast 3.

Today I repotted my Spearmint and Lamb Mint and potted on my Moneymaker Tomatoes and Tomatillos.

I also spent ages just pottering around in the garden having a bit of a general sort out because it was lovely in the sunshine even though it is still a bit chilly!
                  Last edited by spinningsue; 22-03-2015, 03:25 PM. Reason: bad grammar!

Comment

• Yesterday - finished forking over the beds, re-configured the strawberry bed and transplanted runners from last year's bed and some more mature plants. Planted out some broad beans I had started in modules. Went back this morning and barrowed lots and lots of bark chips to tidy up the paths. Cleared up the mess that I did not clear up last autumn. It is starting to look like someone actually 'lives' there!

Comment

• Today my four year old and I forked over the garden patch which was in ideal condition to work with today. She even had a go with the full sized fork. She insisted. After hearing me tell her no, she said "but dad, you're breaking my heart not letting me dig too," so I couldnt really say no to that :-) She actually managed almost as well as me to be fair.

It is slightly clay but nothing like the total clay I grew up with in South Glos. as a kid. It breaks down easy when it is slightly moist but not wet. It was still exhausting for me but having done that, we planted ten potatoes out of the 13 I plan to put in there. Didn't have enough in the tank to finish it completely but most of the way there. Really pleased that it's pretty much done though and should be worth it later in the year when I get my reward.

As well as the three left to put in, I have another 30ish to put in pots but that will be a lot easier. Wanted to get the ones in the ground first, the first earlies, as I want them out the way by the end of June at the latest, for beans to go in after them.
                      Last edited by Snow; 22-03-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Dug couch grass out of the potato bed, the same as yesterday.

Comment

• Finished prepping the final two rotation beds - these will be for potatoes which I think that I'll put in next week.
                          Picked kale tops which are just starting to go to seed. Will be interested to see if they throw side sprouts. Took the netting cage off them.

Comment

• This weekend at my friend's I've planted 6 buckets of potatoes in the greenhouse (3 Charlotte, 3 Desiree), planted some lettuces in the hotbed and the parsnips that I had in pots in a raised bed. Sown leeks and more parsnips. Dug some of the bare areas of soil and removed quite a few perennial roots that escaped me last year. Lifted the fleece off the onions a bit using some hoops.

At home I've planted out the Meteor peas and sown some Hurst Greenshaft. Sown leeks and tomatoes and rearranged the seedlings a bit. Weeded the drive. Made kohlrabi and leek soup and also harvested PSB and my first pea

Busy old weekend!
                            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• More digging and clearing of the new plot. Half way there now. Real sense of achievement already when I look at it.
                              Also got runner beans planted in pots in the greenhouse along with French beans. Potatoes ready to go in this week. Hopefully the blisters on my hands will be worthwhile.

Comment

• I cheered when my first spuds show through - greenhouse grown so far.

Sow some pot marigold for companion planting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X