This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• done!

Well I actually did it a few days ago, added the final touch to the new shed
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by kris1960 View Post
      Totally exhausted- There until 8.15. No way can I checkerboard that area. The spade bounces off the nettle roots, I have inadvertently saved the worst till last. Talked to other allotmenteers and they say that spot has not been cleared for over twenty years! Spent most of the day working on it but have only done a tenth so far. Light relief was finishing my triangular bed where path forks- equilateral with 1.8metre sides. Designed to use clear corrugated roof sheets around perimeter as temporary sheltered bed. Also weeded around raspberries and sorted some problems in composting and storage area. Thanks again Bren for fixing pics.
      Try going over it with a mattock if you've got one or an get hold of one. You might chop the nettles up but it should loosen the soil enough to get a spade/fork in.
      The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
      William M. Davies

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulieb View Post
        Try going over it with a mattock if you've got one or an get hold of one. You might chop the nettles up but it should loosen the soil enough to get a spade/fork in.
        Thanks Paul -you are right, I was trying to avoid chopping nettles. Also get peverse pleasure trying to see if I can winkle out long root run- sad I know. Just off now and will see how mattock does.
        No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Went up the allotment and put my first carrots and beetroot in, cut my bit of grass I've got to keep down and edged it by holding the strimmer on its side it's the way forward!

Comment

• "Potting Shed" now coming in to it's own fruition!

Seed sowing "Frenzy" tomorrow!

Then best have a look at this lot!

She's on my case!
            Attached Files
            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Planted the last of the onion sets and half the shallots, the offer half dont go in till mid month ( old variety called Santa).

Laid cardboard and weed membrane on the bank ready to take the Gorilla grown squashes.

Busiest the site has been since last summer but some of those were just there to clear their belongings as they have vacated their plots. Always happens just after rent is due.

Comment

• Pretty busy day, started work on the bean bed. Sown some parsnips, tomatoes, courgettes, marigolds and lettuce.
                An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

• This is over yesterday and today.
                  Dug a 2 x 2 x 2 ft hole, line it with paving slabs and stones and planted my fig tree.
                  Dug over the flower borders.
                  Sowed cosmos, grass seed, purple sprouting, kale and sprouts.
                  Planted my onion sets, covered them over and something still dug them up!!!
                  Potted on marigolds and peppers.
                  Got my banana plant out of winter dormancy and put it in the greenhouse.
                  removed a few purple sprouting plants that had gone over

Comment

• My daughter and I planted our spuds in pots.
                    I am experimenting this year with different compost, manure and fertilizer mixes, as well as different varieties and sizes of pots. Unfortunately my expensive potato fertilizer had mold all over it so I had to use the cheap stuff from the pound shop. Anyway, glad that is done.
                    I only have about 7 potato seeds left to go into some flower buckets at some point over the coming weeks.

I also checked the PSB.....so close to being ready to harvest my first meal!

I also took a peak under the 30cm tall fleece tunnel over the potatoes we planted a couple of weeks ago and to my surprise, one of them has already breached the surface! Talk about keen. Hope they don't get bitten by a frost.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Snow; 06-04-2015, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                      Planted the last of the onion sets and half the shallots, the offer half dont go in till mid month ( old variety called Santa).

Laid cardboard and weed membrane on the bank ready to take the Gorilla grown squashes.

Busiest the site has been since last summer but some of those were just there to clear their belongings as they have vacated their plots. Always happens just after rent is due.
                      What are gorrilla grown sqashes? Got to allotment first today, popped home at ten and could hardly get in car park when I came back! All gone again by 3.00. Have hardly seen a soul since Christmas.
                      No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Glorious day, shirtsleeves no less! Mulched raspberries with manure and watered, I don't know if they are affected by root disturbance(most things are,I think) but hope that they prefer nettles to be gone.I have tucked them up as well as I can.
                        Continued nettle clearance, took Paul's advice and included mattock in weapons of destruction-I am the nettle queen, 4 barrows of roots today.
                        Uncovered cloched seedlings- many have pushed through but I was worried about them overheating. They are now surrounded by corrugated plastic with thick layer of straw at each end. radishes might even be big enough to eat next week.I think about 15 different things have emerged, some,lobjoits for instance, in abundance and others in ones and twos( russian kale, greek basil and nastursiums). No sign of peas for the third time this year- I could go off mice.
                        Aztec broccoli, zinnias,sweet peas and three types of kale have come through in greenhouse but no sign of tomatos. New batches of rocket and choys doing well in greenhouse beds.Overwintered ones have been eaten three times when they resprouted but rocket has given up the ghost now and is bolting.

I look forward to coming home and posting. No more family members with eyes glazing over in boredom because I get to tell you, dear reader!

I have never used a forum before so don't be polite- let me know if I am doing it wrong or don't understand the etiquette of this strange land.
                        Last edited by kris1960; 07-04-2015, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Painted my new shed, glroisous green. Planted some long carrotts in buckets and made a frame for my broadbeans from an old drain rodding kit.
                          Last edited by Tomatoe; 07-04-2015, 10:18 AM. Reason: I cant english today

Comment

• Sowed sweetcorn indoors, plus a few more tomatoes. Planted outside carrots, spring onions and lettuces in pots and containers. Rhubarb is coming along slowly. Potatoes have been watered, they are all in various containers on our patio.
                            What a beautiful day, enjoy everyone
                            Nannys make memories

Comment

• Planted out broad beans, that had been grown at home, had to pull up some leeks that were occupying the space, so have a sink of very muddy baby leeks.

Watered the potatoes we planted yesterday.
                              DottyR

Comment

• Looked for my flower buckets. Couldn't find them. :-[

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X