Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started with the intention of digging out my greenhouse bed and adding muck to heighten it by about 2 inches.Aftre digging half of it out in sections and putting muck in the bottom (2 feet deep) i realised this was too much like hard work and decided to just turn over the other half. The problem was that when i originally set up the bed i filled it with cow muck. With the weight of soil on the top' this has turned into an impervious layer, like compressed peat with the weight of the soil above it.
    Bought some growbags and used the compost from these to plant a dozen tomatoes in the bed, half beefsteak and half yellow toms.
    Watered the whole lot in and decided this was enough graft for one day and left for home.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Had an out of body experience caused by excitement on the plant stall - please see the ' What Makes You Happy Thread'
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• Decided I really needed to build one of the BeanQ 10 quid greenhouses that I've still got stacked in one of the polytunnels.
        Unfortunately, when I opened the box, The instruction manual had obviously got wet quite some time ago and is now just one very thick, soggy and semi-disintegrated sheet, so it meant I had to just lay all the parts out and guess how they fitted together.
        3 1/2 hours later and it was ready for covering with netting to protect my new raspberry bed.

Yes I know there appears to be some sort of cucurbit growing in there - it just appeared as if by magic, so I thought I'd wait and see what it is
        Attached Files
        What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
        Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• Had a day in the "Rat Race" managaged to "Escape" by 3pm, nipped into my little "Oasis" for a few hours!

show ya my "Greenhouse" well "Chuffed" with it this year!

The "cuc's" posted a few days back looking "Sickly" doused em in a folalier feed! Looking miles better! Supports in ! Here's hoping!

And always remember my "Old Dear" saying! ya can water plants as much as ya want, but they'l never "Sing" as much as having a proper "Drop of Rain"

Attached Files
          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Late frost hammered my tattie tops last night. Hopefully they'll recover. I've nipped off the scorched top leaves as they looked awful.
            Had a big clearout in greenhouse and found space for another 10 tomatoes. Potted on sweet and chilli peppers and moved them into other greenhouse. Pruned the vine in this greenhouse to allow me to get into the door.One side of other greenhouse still to clean out (Has nettles and lovely pink and white foxgloves growing in the border which I am loath to chuck out) Collapsed the bench in my 'Ell' shaped greenhouse so now have a bed to sort out under it which had garlic in it.
            My wigwam of canes outdoors are devoid of climbing French beans. It was my own seed which I kept from last year but maybe it was too cold for germination?. I've just been and bought a packet of Matilda Climbing Frenchies which i'll sow in modules to be on the safe side
            Lots to do at the allotment so its a good job I've got a week off work!
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Staked up my tomato plants, gave their armpits a trim and - I hate to admit - sprayed to kill the zillion green/black fly that had infested them.
              Picked an onion and a few tiny carrots to put in a curry.
              Picked more strawberries mmmm
              Nannys make memories

Comment

• Originally posted by Nannysally99 View Post
                Staked up my tomato plants, gave their armpits a trim and - I hate to admit - sprayed to kill the zillion green/black fly that had infested them.
                Dont worry too much about the blackfly/greenfly,tomato plants are carnivorous & catch them purposefully,they remain motionless on the stem,starve,decompose on the soil surface,then the plant feeds off them. I have quite a few on some of mine,makes me think I should probably feed them.

Comment

• Today I got black fingers again from squishing aphids on french beans, runner beans and dahlias.
                  Also I weeded my cauliflower bed, did lots of watering and dug up a few Arran Pilot spuds for tea.
                  Also picked enough flowers for two vases: gypsophila, ragged robin, cornflowers, sweet peas, calendula, californian poppies, sweet williams.

Attached Files
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Great looking display Martin

Comment

• Problems( suited to major rant thread) kept me away in Sheffield from Monday last and am now desperately trying to catch up at allotment.
                      Completed bed behind pond and planted with brussels.
                      Planted greenhouse tomatos and aubergines.
                      Used psb bed, dug, manured and planted outdoor tomatos.
                      Completed bed in front of greenhouse and planted butternut, courgette and some vegetable mallows.
                      Slugs rampant while I was away and have lost all but 7 of the gourds, many climbing beans and some melons.
                      Just home for lunch and realised that I have left my entire seed collection in Sheffield!
                      No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.
                      No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Originally posted by kris1960 View Post
                        Problems( suited to major rant thread) kept me away in Sheffield from Monday last and am now desperately trying to catch up at allotment.
                        Completed bed behind pond and planted with brussels.
                        Planted greenhouse tomatos and aubergines.
                        Used psb bed, dug, manured and planted outdoor tomatos.
                        Completed bed in front of greenhouse and planted butternut, courgette and some vegetable mallows.
                        Slugs rampant while I was away and have lost all but 7 of the gourds, many climbing beans and some melons.
                        Just home for lunch and realised that I have left my entire seed collection in Sheffield!
                        In red............An excellent sentence to add at the bottom of your posts as your signature!

PS Pigeons luuurve Seakale btw..........as I found to my detriment when I lost mine! Be warned!
                        Last edited by Snadger; 16-06-2015, 02:50 PM. Reason: PS

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Lots of watering and strawberry picking
                          What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                          Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• Planted out some chinese cabbage and some Romanesco broccoli. Did lots of watering, picked some kohl rabi.
                            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Another busy day but managing to pull the allotment into shape again Just about everything that needs to be planted out IS planted out apart from some lettuce and Kintsai which I have yet to find room for and yet more brassicas which I have a bed set aside for.
                              Sowed 40 climbing French beans in a large module to make up for the ones that didn't germinate from direct sowing.
                              Cleaned out the 'L' shaped greenhouse releasing another bed for half a dozen tomatoes. I now have 28 tomato plants of various denominations planted out. Also made a new potting bench from a square metal table frame with a paving flag set on top!

Half of my other greenhouse is now filled with peppers Chilli/Sweet on a bench along one side with a grape vine above. The other half has some self sown foxgloves both pink and white which are in their full splendor now. The bees are having such a good time in their trumpets, I didn't have the heart to pull them out and plant up the last of my toms.
                              I dug over a bed topped with manure and planted nine named Chrysanthemums in it for cut flowers. I also have loads of lillies,gladioli,annual chrysanths and irises for cutting later in the year..
                              Looking at the plot I have good selection of fruit,soft fruit,flowers and vegetables.........too many to list at the mo!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                                Today I got black fingers again from squishing aphids on french beans, runner beans and dahlias.
                                Also I weeded my cauliflower bed, did lots of watering and dug up a few Arran Pilot spuds for tea.
                                Also picked enough flowers for two vases: gypsophila, ragged robin, cornflowers, sweet peas, calendula, californian poppies, sweet williams.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56815[/ATTACH]
                                Pretty impressive Martin!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X