Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just being totally bamboozled by technology!

Comment

• Planted out about 40 leeks and filled the bed with a dozen Brussels sprout plants which were duly netted.
      Put up an old parasol which was being thrown out from work and attached it to my garden bench to stop it becoming a kite!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• As it's been another nice warm day I popped down to water indoors after work.
        Only water mind you, nothing else.

But the bed next to the see through shack had the over wintered onions which had all bolted earlier and weren't going to get any fatter - so up they came.

Then as I was passing it I weeded the bean bed...

Oh and I did have to plant out a couple of summer squash. ..

And then there was a tray of chamomile that was going root bound..

I also decided to jump up and down on a couple of plants to see if they grow any better - ypu never know until you try it.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Staked and tied tomatos and cucumbers in polytunnel, weeded the three 3 sisters beds, removed last of bolting lettuces and planted some more and also a row of seeds for follow on.
          Very tired because I stayed up until 4.00am to watch thunder storm, it was excellent but could have done with it arriving on schedule. Its the first proper one that we have had this year. All sound and fury though, bed I dug was very dry after the first cm.It did seem to cheer up the plants, I think that the fungi in the soil can use lightning to fix nitrogen.
          Last edited by kris1960; 04-07-2015, 07:21 PM.
          No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Chopped off all the fruiting canes on the raspberries as with this heat all the berries were drying up. What a waste!!!!
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

• Rearranged the greenhouse so all the peppers and chillis will get enough light. It's looking good in there now.
              Had a general weed and tidy in the rest of the garden and watered everything.

I think I may be harvesting my first courgette tomorrow

Comment

• Had a bit of a 'weedfest' at allotment today.Foxgloves that the bees were working in one side of my greenhouse have very nearly finished flowering so it was time to take them out. Problem was that there were ginormous nettles growing through them.
                Decided to put a pair of tracky bottoms over my shorts and change my sandals for shoes. Nettles still managed to get me on my belly and my face as I grubbed them out. Decided to erect a folding table over the bed and now have a table at each side of greenhouse with a very slender gap in between. Had a bit of a shift around to give my peppers more room and planted up the remains of my red lettuce into a planting trough.
                More of the same on the edges of the plot with nettles and goosegrass vie-ing to attack me. Weeded around the cane wigwam I had set up for my climbing beans. Beans are going to be lost on ther multiple caned wigwam as only 12 beans have germinated.
                As one of my pumpkins seems to be pollinate I've bee nipping off laterals which are taking over the polytunnel.
                Scranned a few strawberries, goosegogs and raspberries and harvested a couple of courgettes which along with my chooks eggs will make a nice frittata for my supper!
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• slowly dying in the polytunnel, trying to get it cleared thought if i got plants well established now i'll get a good late crop into late winter.

The temp is reading at 43 and the air is so still, keep putting the hose on top of my head
                  I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

• Had a "Potter"

Weeded n thinned the parsnips!

Pruned back both grapevines to one per "Side Shoot" a little late, but done!

Oh n the "Butter Nutters" are taking over the "Asylum"

Attached Files
                    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• The new veggie growing area is still under construction but a raised bed was ready for action so I have relocated my leeks out of their cramped planter and into the bed, sowed some carrots into it as well and have risked sowing savoy Ormskirk even though its several weeks late.

OH has sorted out the raspberry zone and started to organise my fruity triangle (that sounds quite rude don't it)
                      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• Got down to the the plot and had one of the worst sights an allotment holder can have.

A half naked Snadger poking around the car park. Please there's baby veg on the site.

Once I recovered I got on with the garden.

Planted out brassicas which have been growing in a nursery bed into the bed I've cleared of onions. Planted into this bed

6 Evesham sprouts
                        4 red rubin sprouts
                        8 black kale
                        7 dwarf green kale
                        4 collards Southern Georgia

Built the new bed to replace the bed I took apart last week and planted it with

3 jersey kale
                        75 leeks
                        4 purple curly kale
                        6 cauliflower

As the new beds are shorter (but wider) than the beds they're replacing there's now a strip down the side of the plot (which coincidentally happens to be where I put up a two foot fence with eight foot fence posts). This space is now the home of
                        1 kiwi and
                        3 red currants
                        (With enough space left for the Gooseberries, blackberries and black currants currently in Morrisons pots - once I've finished demolition and construction)

P.S.

The plants I jumped up and down on the other day are doing well so I jumped up and down on a couple more.

Had to hurry up and water the transplants as I heard the thunder and wanted to get my plants watered in before it rained.
                        Last edited by Jay-ell; 05-07-2015, 09:48 PM.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Dug up garlic and shallots, hardneck is not as big as softneck but has a good flavour. Shallots prolific but small.
                          Between the showers and the TDF did not get a lot done!
                          No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Potted on my armpit tomatoes and resisted starting any more off.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Looked at my Comfrey plants. Decided to harvest some leaves to make tea. There were no bees working the flowers. Soon word got out in the bee population that I was pruning there pollen provider and they were not at all pleased!
                              Decided I need the bees and they need the pollen so the Comfrey tea can wait until a mutually agreeable time!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Made a start on one of the corners of the garden that needed de-cluttering, weeding, sorting etc. Won't be too long before our jungle looks like a proper garden.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X