Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't get as much time down the lottie today as I first went to bandq on the hunt for bargain greenhouse but no - didn't find one.

Then popped into Al Dee to check out the fruit bushes for£1.79 - ended up with a goji berry, tayberry and two white grapes (wasn't going t get the grape vines but my mother went "ooh for that price we can get two" on the principal that at least one will die)

went to bandq on the hunt for bargain greenhouse but no - didn't find one.

That's not deja vu, ocd or wishful thinking - it was a different bandq.

So les time down the lottie than planned however did put the arch up and secured it so that it doesn't fall over when you open the gate (id call that a design flaw), planted a thornless evergreen blackberry either side and the two honeyberry plants - which is the main items I had planned. Didn't plant anything into the crazy paving path - which was an optional extra.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• "Reccied" the "Gaff" Not as far forward as I was thinking! Was hoping to have this side"Block Paved"

No Rush! but hoping to put it to bed before winter!

But the "Brassica's" are doing well!

Bath n Curry time!

Get up n do it all again tomoz! But look forward to it!
      Attached Files
      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Did some DIY on the house then went fishing.(Caught a nice supper fish on a tiny midge fly!) Went to allotment where one of my poorly hens had passed away. Had to stoke up the woodburner and cremate her with full honours.
        Because i couldn't leaver the woodburner burning at the allotment i lifted my spring planted onion sets. All good onions with only one or two affected by the onion white rot which i have been plagued with these last few seasons. By rotation and addition of plenty of organic matter i appear to be getting rid of it, along with clubroot also.

Weeded the bed in preparation for planting seaweed kale tomorrow. Don't need to dig the ground, just rake it level as the kale will relish the compacted soil.
        Put the hose on and watered the whole plot. By that time the woodburner was finished doing its stuff and i could head for home.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
          Didn't get as much time down the lottie today as I first went to bandq on the hunt for bargain greenhouse but no - didn't find one.

Then popped into Al Dee to check out the fruit bushes for£1.79 - ended up with a goji berry, tayberry and two white grapes (wasn't going t get the grape vines but my mother went "ooh for that price we can get two" on the principal that at least one will die)

went to bandq on the hunt for bargain greenhouse but no - didn't find one.

That's not deja vu, ocd or wishful thinking - it was a different bandq.

So les time down the lottie than planned however did put the arch up and secured it so that it doesn't fall over when you open the gate (id call that a design flaw), planted a thornless evergreen blackberry either side and the two honeyberry plants - which is the main items I had planned. Didn't plant anything into the crazy paving path - which was an optional extra.
          Spotted the Jay's Jungle sign near the gate and the arch when I went to the lottie later today! Lookin good! PS Thanks for the Aldi heads up........looks like I may have to pay them a visit!
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Apart from a bit of pottering and looking to see if there was any sign of the tomatoes going red, I just did some watering.
            I also spent a pleasant hour looking at the online seed catalogues, and making lists of what varieties I fancy for next year

Comment

• Just sitting in the shade with a cuppa. Been slogging away at my overgrown 'patch'. Three days ago discovered a very stagnant pond! Complete with a very small toad. An electrical supply feeding a pump beckoned to me, so with some trepidation, plugged it in and amazingly the pump started working!!!
              So, quandary - do I tidy up said pond and lose the area for growing or do I dismantle it?? Hmmm, don't know a thing about ponds- maybe this'll be yet another project to get started ...
              ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
              a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Batch cooking mince dishes for the freezer. My tomato glut, if it gets here, will be in my next lot of batch cooking I hope
                Nannys make memories

Comment

• Just having 5 ...
                  Back's killing me, half a cider beckons .....
                  Just as an aside - as a treat me and DH went to Newmarket races Friday- never been to the races before and never put on a bet. So. This horse called out to me, with a name like DigI how could I possibly lose???? Hmmm, it came last ....
                  Never mind, the main event was Tom Jones who more than made up for my litte 'flutter' ... Especially "Green, Green Grass"
                  ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                  a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                  - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by SusieG View Post
                    Three days ago discovered a very stagnant pond! Complete with a very small toad. So, quandary - do I tidy up said pond and lose the area for growing or do I dismantle it?? Hmmm, don't know a thing about pond
                    Susie - Toads and frogs are excellent ways of dealing with slugs if you can afford the space plus water is peaceful if you can afford the space
                    Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

• Sowed radishes, spring onions, pak choi, winter density lettuce, iceburg lettuce and mixed leaves.

Gave the pumpkin a good feed and water and trimmed back the toms.

Transplanted my herbs from their hanging basket as they weren't very happy, built another raised bed and then tied up some more tomato trusses that were threatening to snap off because of the weight on them, then sat back with a cold drink and surveyed the plot with satisfaction
                      What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                      Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• I had a light Sussex hen die on me yesterday. I think it was old age, but just in case it was something nasty I gave the coop a good clean and disinfect today with a Permethrin based product.
                        The poop and shavings i put direct onto the bed my oinions have just come out of and hoed and raked it in. I have found that it makes no difference whether chicken poo is composted or not, and it doesn't 'burn' the plants.
                        I then planted 15 Seaweed kale I had grown on in modules along with 5 Rossignol to fill the bed. Covered the hole lot with netting and threw on a bit of slow release balanced fertiliser for good measure. Watered in each plant then added a few slug pellets around each plant.
                        Picked a carrier bag full of tall Telephone peas and had these along with neeps / tatties and steak for my Sunday dinner!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• A couple of hours weeding 2 onion beds on my daughter's plot today. :-)
                          Attached Files
                          Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

• Picked a carry bag of both french and runner beans, been preparing them for the freezer most of the evening.

I also moved my winter brassica's to their permanent bed and decided I have had enough courgettes this year so now 3 plants on the compost heap. Strung up the shallots and will do the same with the onions later in the week.

Comment

• Been working on my front entrance planting aromatic low growing herbs in between the cracks.

They may not look like much at the moment

But after a little while they'll spread and fill out create mounds like this path.

The more you walk on them the lower they grow (within reason) and you get a gorgeous smell of the herbs as you walk down it.

Unfortunately my decision to extend the crazy paving means that I might not have enough plants.

It's all about Thyme management.

I also watered everything and noticed that as well as the runners being covered in pods, rhe frenchies (Corbra, Borlotta and Purple Teepee) are all forming pods.

My onions have started to lie down - hope the onions and shallots on the shelves dry soon. Ill leave it a little while to lift them.

My mooli are up and so are my radicchio.

Picked a bunch of Kale - these were left in the nursery bed after I had planted out the brassica beds. Who says kale needs to be 2 foot appart these were only a few inches

Grabbed a couple of cucumbers (again), my forst patypan and 8 courgettes (you turn your back for a minute. ..)

Well I'm off to make courgette and kale crisps

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Devised a new system for regular repeat sowings in the GH to keep me in leaves for salads and stir-fries through the winter.
                                The plan was to sow 5 types of leaves this week and a different lot of 5 next week. Week 3 to sow the first lot again.
                                However, having sorted out 10 packets of seed, I couldn't choose which 5 to sow today and which to leave until next week - so I sowed all of them

Next week, do I have a week off or sow another 10 packets

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X