Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got around to the chilli harvest, and picked the peppers for drying out to make pimento. Really sad as have had to take 3 weeks away from the garden so found about 15 rotten peppers on the floor they were meant for drying as well, luckily I have plenty of plants.

Don't know what I am going to do with all those aubergines, making a lasagne tonight but I'll still have 10 left over with more on the way soon!

Attached Files
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 14-09-2015, 05:23 PM. Reason: Flipping photo :)
    I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

• One and a half hours hand weeding!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• This evening I potted up a Pennisetum 'Purple baron' that was a freebie from the local GC. Just popped in to get some Jap onions but couldn't resist this semi hardy perennial ornamental millet.. Potted it up into a large pot and hope to ghrow in on in the greenhouse/polytunnel.
        Potted up some leek grass from a seed head of my own and re potted some bigger plants from another seedhead. Put some mesh over a hole in my broody hen coop to stop her escaping and being unable to return to her eggs.

Forgot to add I took home a bucket full of Desiree spuds and a bucket full of Japanese red and yellow onions grown from sets planted last autumn. I'll use these before my summer onions as they domn'y keep very well.
        Last edited by Snadger; 15-09-2015, 05:05 PM.
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Lots of digging of my raised beds, pulled out the last carrots and spuds, only the Asparagus peas left in a raised bed, plus a LOAD of Parsnips still in the ground, I was well blessed with how many germinated as many other allotmenteers had said they could never get them to germinate in the ground. I did start to grow some in kitchen tissue rolls ( being longer and therefore better than toilet rolls ) but figured It would be quicker to sow them in drills, it worked!
          The raised beds are now seeded with over-wintering manure crop.
          Still have some Toms left in the GH with five plants of sweet peppers, those of which I have been freezing as it`s only me to eat them...I`m single and can`t eat that many!
          Now snugged up in my Douvet with the latest GYO mag....ahh!
          Girls are like flowers, a little attention every day and they`ll blossom.

Comment

• What I did today.

Checked all my plants after i went off and left them for the best part of two weeks.
            I left the pepper pots standing in water, soaked the tomatoes then shaded the soil with black plastic and put the fuchsia plants in two old window boxes with a little water in a shaded area.
            So surprised they lasted and just spent the last hour tidying them up.
            Results,,,, not looking too bad.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by veggiechicken; 17-09-2015, 04:40 PM. Reason: typos

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Well, that did'nt go too well, but you get the picture!!! Maybe not.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Built another raised bed to fill the last space on the plot and filled with loads of well rotted farmyard manure and topsoil in readiness for my autumn planted onions.
                Planted some Pak Choi and Cabbage seedlings and weeded around the Lettuces and Peas.
                What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• Got rid of a few tomato plants out of the greenhouse. Stripped a lot of the leaves from the outdoor toms. Pruned back a few chilli plants.took more fuschia cuttings with a view to train them into standards next year. Took some of my potted geraniums into the greenhouse and dead headed the dahlia's.
                  Oh, and played pitch and putt.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Planted out 50 each of Shakespeare and Senshyu Onion sets. Measured my largest Pumpkin and saw it was good!
                    Watered the greenhouse and PT's before coming home and whipping up 6 jars of Tomato and Red Pepper Chutney, 4 jars of Green Tomato and Apple Chutney and 6 tubs of Tomato sauce to stick in the freezer
                    What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                    Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• A load more tomatoes ripened and picked. Lots of red chillis too. Chopped up my runner bean plants and put used compost into compost box. Picked up loads more windfall apples. More trying to tame ever present weeds in borders.

Waved a sad farewell to my 5 chickens and cockerel - gone back to their original owner so they can free-range.
                      ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                      a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                      - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Picked a load of eagerly awaited red toms...tasted a few...rotten! . Also picked, prepared,packed and froze a load of runner beans...at least they have been successful but way behind on last year.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                          Picked a load of eagerly awaited red toms...tasted a few...rotten! . Also picked, prepared,packed and froze a load of runner beans...at least they have been successful but way behind on last year.
                          Ah Jay22, this year has been so different to the last one. Don't be pug off, there's always next season. ☺

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Dug up some tatties, planted PSB plants out where tatties were. Weeded some pathways. Let a plot to someone who was keen to take it on.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Hello all- spent a much needed day in allotment as I am away next 3 weekends. Awake now and up as back is so sore from digging that I can't sleep.
                              Dug very large bed and planted red cabbage, psb, kale- curly and cavolo nero -and some tatsoi.
                              Lost all the rows of oriental greens(sowed 6 odd weeks ago) that I alternated with various types of onion seeds. They all germinated well but completely disappeared at 2 leaf stage. Onion seedlings doing well and don't know whether to thin and replant in now unused rows or how critical it is to decide now- any advice very welcome.....
                              Am bringing home tomatos whenever they show slight signs of ripening, had about half a dozen decent sized aubergines from greenhouse and some delicious and well named minnesota midgets(maybe the melons will be bigger next year!Still very proud though).
                              Gigante beans doing well but absolutely covered with wasps, other beans have been slow but nice. Gourds a total failure, will get some sweetcorn but it has also struggled.
                              Brussels,swede and kales now growing through caterpiller damage and look good.
                              Aztec brocoli and vegetable mallow looked good and grew well but failed taste test.
                              Flowers have been fabulous.
                              Desperately need more time at allotment but won't get it until late october- apart from today have only had time for odd bit of weeding and picking. I miss having proper time there.
                              No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• [Weekend]

Dug up the last of the potatoes - another big garden tub full enough for me to struggle to carry it. Dug over a small patch of a bed that's been under cardboard all season, for winter salads under a cold frame. Weeded swedes and parsnips. Shook my head over the massive should-be-Crown-Prince-but-isn't squash and decided I still didn't know what to do with it.

Picked runner beans, parsnips and swede and ate them for tea with roast tattie and a nice joint of lamb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X