Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeded one of my strawberry beds. Hard to ascertain which were strawberry runners and which were bindweed runners!

Harvested a couple of beetroot (one was a bit on the large side!) Can't find a pan that will hold enough water to cover it!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Put wire mesh collars around brassicas that I planted yesterday and then top dressed between cages with horse manure. Distributed with dutch hoe - lovely job in drizzle!
      No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Whats the wire mesh collars for Chris.?

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bramble View Post
          Whats the wire mesh collars for Chris.?
          Hi Bramble - wire mesh to protect from pidgeons until they are a bit bigger but also so that I could put thick layer of manure around without it touching the stems. The collars are about 9" diameter and about a foot tall. Will remove in about a month.
          No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Spent the afternoon planting out my daffodils and wallflowers.
            Have this image in my head of a lovely spring display.
            I know wallflowers are out of favour but theres a garden close by that has a lovely display of these every spring and so I decided to do the same.
            We will wait and see.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Yes it's that time again! Making passata!
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by kris1960 View Post
                Hi Bramble - wire mesh to protect from pidgeons until they are a bit bigger but also so that I could put thick layer of manure around without it touching the stems. The collars are about 9" diameter and about a foot tall. Will remove in about a month.
                Any chance of a piccie Kris?
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

• Beautiful antumn weather this afternoon.
                  Decided to clear out the toms from the greenhouse that were past their best. Brought in some in containers still producing. Cleaned all the glass to get a little more light.
                  Dug out the roots of a five year old sage that had taken over a half barrel.
                  Planted more daffs in containers.
                  Emptied a lot of pots from spent soil and finally made dinner. Now sitting here exhausted but happy with a good afternoons work.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Dug over part of my garden and planted out my onion sets Shensyu today. Beautiful afternoon.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Lovely afternoon today so I did some clearing up in my greenhouse. Cleared all the tomato plants before the botrytis can spread any more, so now I've got a pile of red toms in the fridge and green ones on the windowsill. There's still some sweet peppers and cucumbers ripening, so they can stay a bit longer.

At Wisley Flower Show last month, Chrysanthemums Direct were selling rooted cuttings of early varieties with a promise that they would flower in a cold greenhouse before the end of the year. So I had to buy a couple. They've shot up, but no sign of a flower bud yet. So I've moved a couple of my own earlies into the greenhouse to keep them company. I've been pinching these back to slow them down as much as possible, but they will flower in 2 or 3 weeks now.

I've got space to start some salad crops in pots now, I'll probably do those tomorrow.
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Originally posted by bramble View Post
                        Dug over part of my garden and planted out my onion sets Shensyu today. Beautiful afternoon.
                        Me too. Also strimmed around the plot and generally tidied up. Then sat and admired my Pumpkin
                        What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                        Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• General tidy up and weeding...do those darned sow thistle EVER give up?

Tomorrow's job is to measure the plot properly so we can get a scaled up diagram done on some lining paper and we can then work out where beds & paths & seating area are going to be next year and I can also spend the next two/three months working out next year's growing plan so I'm a lot more organised than this year!

I've also discovered that the polytunnel is virtually rotten along one whole side so I think that will be coming down in the coming months and a new one rebuilt from scratch - Neil is promising me an even bigger one!!! And this time it'll be a proper one with no draughty gaps where slugs can sneak in!!!
                          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
                            Neil is promising me an even bigger one!!!
                            There's an answer there somewhere but I'm too much of a gent to go there...............
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Today was mainly spent weeding in between the butternut squash, courgettes and cabbages. I also cut off my green tomatoes to ripen at home - I'm hoping this was the right thing to do but getting impatient now!

I've also cleared my one and only raised bed with the intention that garlic will go in there soon.

I harvested some kale (going to attempt kale crisps later), potatoes and a few purple runner beans. My harvest has been small this year but I know I planted late as I just couldn't dig the solid ground in April.

Comment

• Yesterday - finished forking over the bed where the raspberries were and then used chopped up comfrey and well rotted cow manure to 'mulch' the bed and covered it with cardboard. It is going to lie fallow over the winter and I shall plant strawberries there in the spring. Then I forked and raked over another bed and planted green manure there. Cleared out the old strawberry bed completely and prepped the ground for my garlic next month (ie in a couple of weeks' time. Lordy it is almost October!) Got another allotment holder to help me move my 1,000 litre water butt to a new location behind the shed. I can have 2 gutters from the shed roof fill it now ... much more efficient. You can see where I have been!
                                Last edited by susieq100; 29-09-2015, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X