Help me cut down on watering- baskets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

Ice cubes are best in baskets for a slow trickle feed.
    I like that idea.
    .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

Ice cubes are best in baskets for a slow trickle feed.
      How many ice cubes can you fit in the basket? Wouldn't it be the same amount of water,from a good watering? Does the ice touch the foliage & stems? It's nice for the roots to have semi warm-sun heated-water,like leaving the watering can in the sun for a few hrs.

Comment

Ice cubes Snadger you wicked person they are for the G&T.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

The open texture of potting compost in baskets, especially when dried out a bit just allows water to trickle through without actually soaking the compost. Ice cubes are like a slow release water drip which soaks the compost.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

That does sound good,water does drain through some compost too fast,then dries again.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for the many replies, really wasnt expecting this

What Ill do if its ok is many do a little trial of different things and report back end of the season.

Thanks again

Comment

I can no longer be asked with hanging baskets: all the tricks only help a little, you still have to water every day in summer
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Get some nappies cut the actual nappy bit away from the rest and line the basket with these on top of you're usual liner then puncture holes through them before you fill them with compost

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X