No announcement yet.

Do tomato plants self seed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had odd tomato plants & other unidentified seedlings popping up in my compost bins from time to time, some seeds are pretty indestructable!
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      That's why you always get tomato plants growing at sewage treatment works.........
      Yes, my OH told me that yesterday...apparently we can't digest tomato seeds and they come out in our poop and then out in the effluent... he says you get a field of tomatoes in Gt yarmouth where the sewage works is. I'll post a photo if I ever see this phenomenon
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you are growing mainly F1 hybrids your self set plants can be a bit disappointing. However, they could be the next taste sensation. Good innit?
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Saving Tomato Seeds for Next Year's Tomato Crop and Winter Sown Seed

Saving Tomato Seeds for Next Year's Tomato Crop
          Seed saving is the only way to make sure you have seeds of your favorite plants to grow each year. Tomato seeds need special handling to ensure good germination without disease.
          http://gardening.about.com/od/totall...omatoSeeds.htm

Learn to Winter Sow Seeds outdoors. Winter Sowing is easy to do! With this creative and easy germination method you will be able to start hardy and vigorous seedlings for pennies. Winter Sowing is done outdoors during Winter using mini-greenhouses made from recyclables; there are no heating devices, no energy-wasting light set-ups or expensive seed starting devices.
          http://wintersown.org/

Comment

Seed Saving

I hate to be a regular little know-all but here in Bulgaria the village people (No not the group) simply place the seeds out on a plate, let them dry and put them away for next year.
            A professional grower saves his seeds on newspaper.
            Look at 'daughterofthesoil' blog, she does the same thing with success.
            It appears that the ' must ferment' school are a little out of step similarly to the 'peas need bees' school.

I have no experience of either method, I'm simply showing you who does.
            I shall be saving all my seeds both ways this year seeking the truth.

Phreddy

Comment

I plonk seeds for saving onto kitchen towel till they're dry. It works so I've never tried anything else.
              Last edited by Flummery; 10-07-2007, 09:11 AM. Reason: spellinmg!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Here in Bedworth, a fine tomato plant grew last year under a road sign by a busy road. All the tomatoes got stamped on before they could ripen, though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X