Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purple Sprouting Broccoli - how long till harvest?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
    You don't put butter on Asparagus even?
    No, didn't know that people did. I just steam it, add a bit of black pepper and if I'm making a meal out of it I quite like a poached egg on the side to dip it in. Don't really like fatty food at all and as I'm not used to it, when I do eat any I end up a bit unwell. Was always aware that I was unusual not to like butter on potatoes (just crush my potatoes with a fork to make mash, hate it creamed and that whipped stuff with cream is just hideous) but keep discovering the fact that people shove it on everything which makes no sense to me at all. Think about 99% of the butter in our house is used in baking and I don't do that much of that either.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Your diet sounds a lot more healthy than mine!
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I've had people say in the past that I'm denying myself things and must be making myself miserable but I genuinely don't like that sort of food, even as a child I remember asking mum to put less butter on my bread. Now chocolate is a totally different thing but not worked out how I can grow that successfully yet....

Oh and sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Dunno about my PSB, but the kale is all going to seed...
          Eat it all up - the flower shoots steamed are delicious!

I've had PSB for the last 3 weeks now, and it's still coming. We eat the leaves and stalks as well, they are incredibly sweet raw (I'm impatient) and so tasty. I do like it all with a bit of butter, pepper and a few shavings of parmesan on top. Personally I'm in the 'everything's better with butter' school. I blame my parents...
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

So why in the hell are mine still not even close to being ready for harvest? People on here (Cumbria) who are as far north as I am (Co. Durham) say they have been harvesting for 3 weeks, yet there's still nothing even close to looking like being ready to harvest.

I'm jealous haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
              So why in the hell are mine still not even close to being ready for harvest?
              Did you sow/plant an Early variety?
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

And when did you plant them out?
                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

They are an over wintering variety that I plated out last July.

Says on the back of the packet that I should be harvesting throughout March and April. Here we are nearly in April and still nothing.

They've got until the end of April and they are coming out whether they are cropping or not as I need to plant my potatoes where they are at.
                  Last edited by Scoot; 25-03-2015, 12:39 PM.

Comment

The instructions on the seed packets tend to assume people are located down south so I'd expect you to be a bit later and they are only guides. Mine should be sprouting according to the packet too but I never expect a harvest before mid April at the earliest.

Comment

My "Early Purple" didn't start until April last year and I haven't had any of this year's crop yet either. I think that even though I'm down south, stuff is slow to get going on my clay soil.

I wish it would get a move on though, I'm getting hungry. Also I'll need the plot before too long for my maincrop potatoes.
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                        My "Early Purple" didn't start until April last year and I haven't had any of Also I'll need the plot before too long for my maincrop potatoes.
                        This is the exact reason I want mine to hurry up and flower. I havn't got a lot of space and need the plot for my spuds.

Anyone got any ideas what's the latest time you should be planting your maincrop spuds?

Comment

I'd want to get them in by the beginning of May. If you leave it too long they are likely to get the blight before they are ready to lift (down here anyway).
                          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

That's why my spuds will be following on from my roots beds, the brassicas aren't out the way in time. I go for a legumes - brassicas - roots (carrots, onions etc) - spuds, which works pretty well for me.

Comment

How many PSB plants does everyone aim for? I've just planted a few seeds into 15 modules. My neighbour at home has some PSB plants and they look huge. Any ideas how many plants 2.5 people might need?

Comment

I grow 4 plants to feed 2 of us (and give away some to my mum) but it does depend on how often you want to eat it each week.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X