No announcement yet.

Do you water in potatos?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potatoes will chit without water, so I don't think being without water will do them a great deal of harm until the leaves come through and start losing water through transpiration. I would also doubt that a little water would do any harm, but too much could cause them to rot. If you have planted them fairly deeply in soil they will have access to the water from the soil anyway so I don't see any need to water these until they start to grow.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

If we think about this until the plants start growing, there are no roots to take up any water.
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

A few years ago I dug a trench to plant my potatoes in. Then something else cropped up ... the trench sat there for a week or two, the weather was kind ... then I planted the spuds, backfilled the trench and thought nothing of it. They did absolutely nothing ... for a month ... until we had heavy rain and then it dawned on me that the trench had become properly dry - particularly the base of the trench, but also the soil heaped alongside that presented a nice large surface area to the sun.

I don't water mine when I plant then (but I don't leave the planting trench open any more!!), but based on my previous experience I wouldn't hesitate if I thought the ground was at all dry.
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X