Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planted autumn king carrots too close together?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planted autumn king carrots too close together?

Hi,

Yesterday I pricked out and planted my autumn king carrot seedlings into their permanent spot under a poly tunnel. I read the spacing was 3" but have pretty much followed this in each direction, e.g. between plants and rows (maybe closer to 4" between rows). Should I thin them out or will they be ok?

Leave them be, and pull alternate rows as baby veg, leaving the remainder to grow on to full size with plenty of room?
    He-Pep!

Comment

am going to sprinkle a few seeds every 3 or 4 inch,with a foot between rows,that gives a reasonable space for them the grow,also you will see better where they are as they germinate,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by josie33 View Post

Yesterday I pricked out and planted my autumn king carrot seedlings into their permanent spot under a poly tunnel.
        Carrots don't normally transplant very well - the tap root gets damaged and can fork badly as a result.
        It may be worth you sowing some more now just in case...

Comment

You will be very lucky to get anything other than forked monstrosities by transplanting carrots.
          I plant mine not in rows but in areas with 2 inch between seeds. Get loads of beauties without thinning.

Comment

Carrots are much better sown direct . I will be sowing mine next weekend, little pinch (approx 3 seeds) every 3+" along the row and 6" between rows. Gives me lovely big carrots come autumn. My early carrots were sown a bit back in the tunnel at slightly closer spacing as I pick them smaller.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Isn't it a bit early to sow the autumn standing carrots?

*wonders if they'll last all summer*
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Isn't it a bit early to sow the autumn standing carrots?

*wonders if they'll last all summer*
                I always sow mine mid April so they'll go in at the weekend. Never pull any until Septemberish then dig them up as I need them over autumn / winter. Still have a few in the ground now which will probably get eaten at the weekend.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X