Aubergine help - potting on (or not)?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aubergine help - potting on (or not)?

Because of a bit of a numpty mix up with labelling I mistook my aubergines for something else and put them two to a pot in 25cm pots. They're quite big now and I think have the beginnigs of flowers. Are they going to survive in such relatively small pots? Or am I more likely to kill them by attempting to transplant them? They're Calliope F1 and the fruits are supposed to reach about 4 ins long, if that helps.

Any advice much appreciated.

Claire
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Dear Seahorse
    GARDENING ANGEL and I have a aubergine growing in a pot of similar size in the greenhouse. It seems happy and healthy with flowers so we are going to leave it alone. Like you we are not sure so fingers crossed and good luck. Sorry it wasn't a more technical answer )

Comment

iv potted things on when theyv been in bigger pots than that...iv not grow aubergines before until this year but i understand they make quite big plants so im sure it wouldnt hurt to pot them on

Comment

In my experience Aub plants can get really quite big & bushy ..OH & not to forget Prickly! say 2' each way & more. Also the smaller the pot the more frequently you'll need to feed & water.

I'd definately reduce to one plant per pot. If you can't separate them easily then you might have tosacrifice the smaller.

Or pot the pair into something much larger & get themto grow outwards from each other.

PS of all the plants in this family the Aub's have far and away the best flowers.
        Jane

Comment

Thanks all I shall try potting them on then. If the roots look completely enmeshed I will do as chickenjane suggests and keep them together but in a much bigger container (great idea - should have thought of that option myself )

Claire

Comment

Good luck with your aubergines Seahorse. I've never had any success with them before, but this year I've got aubergines set. One of the small varieties - Baby Belle. The plants are quite big so you should allow yours some space. And as ChickenJane says, the flowers are petty. Here's apic of mine for you and one of my very first aubergine. I hope you can see it.

Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

They look lovely Alice.

Only... ... from looking at your pictures, now I'm not sure if I DID make a mistake with labelling... perhaps what I thought were aubergines, then thought weren't, actually ARE! D'oh! Meaning that what I've just repotted is... um, um... who knows!

My digi cam is misbehaving but when it's working again I will post pics of both the types of mystery plants and see what everyone thinks!

Comment

iv had masses and masses of flowers but only just had one set recently. they were in pots in the conservatory but just finished reasembling a second greenhouse so they are in the soil there now

Comment

Mine were the same Leona. The plants have been dangling in flowers for ages but no aubergines set. Only this week did they start to make aubergines but there are plenty of them now. Just came all at once. Maybe they just have their time and they won't do it before then.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X