Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Runner Beans grow up the same string as a Cordon Tom?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    If you find anything out, please come back & let us know.
    I will enquiry and see if get an answer

Comment

Ok got an answer and that's what he does. Someone else also use to put at 2 foot distance a put 1 sunflower mammuth as a cane, one tomato, and one butter bean plant. Also she put lettuce as intercroping. Like i said maybe in Italy been quite sunny all this plant grow well together. The problem may be that In uk all this plant would hold a lot of humidity and causing problems with the tomatoes.
      she send me a pics where you can see them together at early stage
      Attached Files

Comment

I'd just be worried about airflow and encouraging bacterial and fungus infections with the overcrowding????

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yes, I find it difficult to harvest and armpit when my toms are well spaced but two rows deep.

Comment

That's what I meant by problem. All the summer in South italy rains maybe 3-5 days so there is plenty dry air floW.

Comment

Yes if the cane goes straight up with a bean twined around,between the tomato plants,sounds better than what I did. I didn't get the angles right,the tomatoes merged into the bean plant at about 4ft. It would definately strangle a tomato plant if it entwined around it,I can imagine the top tomato branches/flowers getting squashed completely,like my sweetcorn was once strangled (on a cob) but going up a separate string or bamboo sounds good.

Comment

Thanks for your input peeps. I have put canes in between the toms and leaned the canes towards the Toms strings so should meet at around 4-5ft.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I don't know if I've got this right but wondered if the Nitrogen fix from the Beans would be of any benefit to the Toms.............just a random thought.
                  It is right, I read to sow beans around aub's as they need extra nitrogen, so it could be same with toms

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
                    It is right, I read to sow beans around aub's as they need extra nitrogen, so it could be same with toms
                    Well, one bed has Beans & Toms, one bed has Toms only so I will try & keep my eye out for any differences.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Well, one bed has Beans & Toms, one bed has Toms only so I will try & keep my eye out for any differences.
                      That's the best way to find out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X