sowing brocolli seed.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sowing brocolli seed.

Am just wondering when would be the very latest to sow brocolli seed. have just taken my onions and garlic out and have a nice piece of ground free.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Is there anybody out there who can tell me if its too late to sow brocolli seed please?

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I would give it a try Bramble. After all, summer is so slewed who can tell what should be planted when anymore! I have some very small brocolli plants and they will be going in the ground soon, some of them only popped up in the last few days. I think there are some kinds that stand over winter and crop in spring anyway so they should have plenty time to get established.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Hi Bramble!

Heyasson recons it should have been sown in April or May, for transplanting in June or July, so you may well be too late!

I'd say it would depend upon which type of broccolli and when its due to be harvested! Probably a bit late for autumn sprouting, but you may just get away with some spring sprouting broccolli to overwinter!

If you were hoping for autumn sprouting, then you'd probably be better seeing if you can buy some plantlets from the GC!

Some of our PSB seems to be producing small heads already, cant wait until they are big enough for us to harvest!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

If you have the space and the time, then go for it! The weather this year has been so crazy you may well be onto a winner.

Comment

I think you should be ok for purple sprouting that will overwinter.

Mrs D, my heads are almost ready for harvest and got side shoots too. I love broccoli so going to harvest some this weekend. That is if I'm not under water again...

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

Thanks all for replying. Was'nt sure but as you say, weather has been so crazy I just might get away with it. Will give them a try anyway and see what happens.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Good luck with the brocolli Bramble. You should be ok with PSB. How were the onions and garlic. My red onions have been great but garlic not quite ready yet.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I am going to try PSB this year. I was hoping to grow it in pots until really late,(sept/oct) before planting it in the ground maybe under clotches. What do you think? Is that a no go idea?
                  I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Mine is still in pots but I'm waiting for ground to come free - must get eating!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have a tray of broccoli waiting to go in, but no spare ground!

Need the rain to stop so I can crack on.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Why not? I have some Romanesco in trays. Look really groovy this is my first attempt at them. I stagger my sowings in modules over long periods as i find that, especially with the f1's they all turn in at once. You might need a couple of varieties and a bit of fleece, but you can eat most brassicas most of the year...and this year its doubly true...my 3 batch of caulis just come good. Tho, much more of this and I'm going to take up growing watercress!
                        Last edited by Paulottie; 01-07-2007, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Alice, o0nions were really quite big and I lifted them last week because of so much rain. Unfortunately about three quarters of them went to seed this year but otherwise fine. I lifted a couple of garlic I had groowing in deep pots and they were ok, nothing great, but I have'nt lifted the ones in the open ground yet.
                          I have had a bumper crop of raspberries this year and am well pleased with them.
                          Picked my first couple of tomatoes yesterday. Lovely to get the flavour of homegrown toms.
                          I did'nt grow any red onions this year but may try again next time.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I've just sown some PSB so it would be interesting to compare notes in a few months!
                            You are a child of the universe,
                            no less than the trees and the stars;
                            you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X