Soya Bean anybody?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soya Bean anybody?

Sowed soya bean last Friday but don't know what to expect. Seed packet says specially bred for the British climate.

I don't know whether this was a good idea but I soaked the soya bean in water and in 15 minutes, the skin were coming loose, took them off carefully without detaching...what looked like shoot (I think???). Did or didn't I do right? I thought soaking might help germinate the seeds faster.
    Food for Free

Just adding to say that my soya bean have started to shoot after a week of sowing. Pretty fast going so quick soaking may have helped.
    Food for Free

Comment

iv given up on mine. tried last year and this and they just rot off. completely given up now.

Comment

i had 1 germinate from a tray of 30, so i guess a soaking would have helped there. Must rember that for next time.
        Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
        -- Alfred E. Neumann
        http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

I planted Ustie again this year...not worth the bother, even in the South. Spend your money on French beans instead
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I grew about 12 soya beens this year something keeps eating tham think its the wabbits (wheres my gun ) had no beens as yet going to grow them within protecve fencing next year.
            Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
            Dobby

Comment

It seems a rather strange time to be sowing them - what does it advise on the packet?

Comment

According to seed packet, sowing is between May and early June. Harvest from Sep to Nov and is frost tolerant. So far mine are coming along fine with pods produced but not yet big enough for eating. I think the plant is too rough/feathery foliage for slugs or any insects.

Apparently you don't eat them until the plant go brown and dies back, that's when you harvest. I know it's weird but that's how the way it is with soya bean. Eat them boiled in their pods in salted water and they're absolutely magnificent and addictive.

I think mine have done well despite being compromised as I always do...not transplanting soon enough to bed, then got shaded by tall spinach for a while. My only regret is that I have only 4 plants even though I sowed a lot more than that and that I should have tried to germinate more when only 4 appeared. I will inform the forum if I manage to get to successfully eating soya beans grown in British weather.
                Last edited by veg4681; 19-09-2007, 09:50 PM.
                Food for Free

Comment

they have been in the grownd since June but found 1 bean pod the reast have eather been eaten by rabbits or something
                  Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                  Dobby

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X