Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it time to earth up my leeks?

...or am I too late?

Will this give me a longer white section?

No you're not.

Yes, it will.

Comment

thanks for the advice - I'll do so...Obviously I can't go out now - it's POURING!

where did the summer go?

Comment

Ee Gads queen of the cobs, mine haven't been transplanted yet.
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
          Ee Gads queen of the cobs, mine haven't been transplanted yet.

I gave up waiting for them to be the size of a pencil, and when I took them out of their pots the roots had really wrapped around the bottom. They were much happier once I'd planted them out and are over 1cm in diameter - get 'em out now, I say.

I think next year I am going to plant the seeds in kitchen roll tubes, or even make some longer pots from newspaper.

Comment

Transplanted ours out on Tuesday, after digging over the 2 beds that the new tatties and first early tatties had been in! We had rather a few more than we had anticipated, a total of 290 in the 2 seed trays that have been in the greenhouse for the past 2 months! Guess it looks like we may be ok for leeks for a while, if the wabbits that have begun to plague the plot dont eat them that is! (lots of other folk have had theirs nibbled, ours seem ok so far, but will have to see how they go!)
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Not planted mine out yet either, and not going to while this weather continues. They're in roottrainers so should be ok for some time.

Def earth up QotC but you may want to let them grow more in diameter and fill your dibbed hole before you do any firming of any kind, else there is nowhere for them to expand into.

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X