Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pollination needs - growing under mesh

Hi,

I've been looking into which veg need to be pollinated or not in order to drive what I grow either in a raised bed in my greenhouse which has a window open to let the bees in, or in an outside bed under an enviromesh cloche (which presumably needs to hold veg that doesn't need pollination as the bees can't get to the veg).

I'm keen to use the envriomesh cloches as they will reduce the amount of maintenance I need to do.

I'd be really grateful to hear any suggestions for what I could put in either bed uncovered in a greenhouse with an open window or outside under mesh please.

Many thanks

Martyn.

I am trying carrots under enviromesh this year. All brassicas would be ok, as would beetroot, parsnips and all alliums!

The only crops not suitable would be the likes of legumes and cucurbits!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

As a very general rule, if it flowers before it fruits, pollination is required, (though certaintypes of veg are self fertile / self pollinating) and if it is a leafy crop, or a root crop, environmeash is fine to use.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Martyn, as said I think brassicas are best for growing under enviromesh, no pollination required and they seem to suffer more than anything (other than carrots) from pests. I started my sprouts and broccoli off under wondermesh this year until they were about 3 feet high and all grew really well.

I dont grow Cauli's as I dont like them much, but this would be ideal for growing under mesh.

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X