Harvesting potatoes in the rain

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvesting potatoes in the rain

Hi everyone! I think my pink fir tatties plus a couple of "unknowns" are ready for harvesting. The leaves are starting to die back and some are going yellow with little black speckles on them.
    What is the best way to harvest them, particularly in all this wet weather? It'll be Saturday at the earliest before I get down to the lottie to do some digging - where is the best place to leave them to dry out a bit? I've already got some paper sacks for storage, just not sure what to do in the meantime.
    Thanks! Bernie
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

As far as I know PFA are maincrop potatoes Bernie. They shouldn't be 'keeling over' yet.

If I am wrong (hopefully) and you have a sizeable crop I would just leave them in situ in the rain for a few hours. After that, collect them up and let them dry off on a greenhouse staging or shed window sill. Once dry you can commence bagging!

PS Welcome to the 3000 posts club. Not as select as the mile high club I fear but an achievement non the less!
    Last edited by Snadger; 03-07-2007, 07:23 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm just digging spuds as I need them. Even if the foliage is gone (as my early Arran Pilots have) the potatoes underneath have been OK. Unless you really need the space I would leave them where they are and dig as you use. Normally harvest maincrop for storing late August/September. This is when you need to leave them to dry for a few hours at least before storing in sacks.

Comment

If the rain ever stops I will begin to eat my second crop potatoes, until then they are staying right where they are!!

Will the rain ever stop?

Comment

Still eating Arran Pilots - I only grow earlies - smallish veg garden - and only dig when I need them. As Snadger said, the only spuds you need to lift all at once (and therefore to store) are maincrop so I'd leave your fir apples a bit. Another month and surely to heaven we'll have a bit of sun!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for your advice everyone, much appreciated. Hadn't realised Snadger that I was over the 3,000 mark! Bernie
            Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 04-07-2007, 05:18 PM.
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
              Thanks for your advice everyone, much appreciated. Hadn't realised Snadger that I was over the 3,000 mark! Bernie
              You were yesterday Bernie...but you seem to have dropped down below 3000 now for some reason?????
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sorry but may I hijack this for a moment

Are you saying that if there are black spots on the leaves and the greenery is going yellow, that it's time to harvest???

Mine are looking like this, hence the root around to see what was down there, and they are flowering at the moment. Should I be thinking of harvesting??

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  You were yesterday Bernie...but you seem to have dropped down below 3000 now for some reason?????

She must have been on the Sunday Night Chat. When this is erased later in the week those posts don't count. Don't worry - she'll soon catch up again!

Comment

Originally posted by Curvy Vixen View Post
                    Sorry but may I hijack this for a moment

Are you saying that if there are black spots on the leaves and the greenery is going yellow, that it's time to harvest???

Mine are looking like this, hence the root around to see what was down there, and they are flowering at the moment. Should I be thinking of harvesting??
                    It's not just down to that Curvy Vixen. It depends on the variety, when they were planted etc. Mine are like that but they were put in in the middle of March and are first earlies. What are you growing?

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Ah ha! Just realised that perhaps it was my posts in Sunday nights chat? Ah well, not a problem! You'll just have to put up with me for a while longer! Bernie
                      Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        It's not just down to that Curvy Vixen. It depends on the variety, when they were planted etc. Mine are like that but they were put in in the middle of March and are first earlies. What are you growing?
                        Eerr...potatoes??

Sorry Flummery I know you're trying to help me but I haven't a clue! I bought a bag at a local garden centre a few months ago and it never occurred to me to look to see if there was a name! They have pink flowers on them though LOL!

Made hubby dig down last night again and he got a couple of ping pong balls out so I think I'll just keep an eye on them. If they are ping pong ball sized now have you any idea roughly how long they will take to get to 'potato sized'? Or will that depend on the variety? Think I planted them about end of April time-ish...

Comment

I dug my Charlotte pots. up last night - one lot in bin, only got about 2lbs but lovely taste. This is my first time growing potatoes (in fact growing anything) but looking at other gardens and comparing the foliage on mine was huge, about 2/3ft high. Does anyone know why? I was so proud though with my little colander, really good feeling. pammiep

Comment

My potato plants are huge as well, must be 3' now (sorry, dont know the variety cos I 'inherited' them) and I'm worried they'll be all leaf and no potato. Maybe its the weather we've been having pammiep? Someone who knows more than me will be along to tell us shortly no doubt.
                            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Hi. moggsue - I hope so as would like to know for next time. I must admit the compost wasn't v.moist taken into account all the rain we've had. Maybe I haven't watered enough - how about you? + do you feed potatoes?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X