Red Onions Bolting!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Onions Bolting!

Tried growing red onions from sets this year as we prefer them to yellow, but all 60 have bolted!
    1, I thought onions from sets tended not to bolt
    2, Are reds more prone to this.
    3, Is it the silly weather we have had this year
    It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

I think the silly weather is most to blame, Grandpadragon. Having said that, I've never had a really good crop from red onions. They have usually been on the small side even when they haven't bolted.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Red onions make me scream as no matter whether sown from seed or from sets a large proportion bolt. Heat treated sets are supposed to be less of a problem but I have found no difference.

However so far this year my "Red Karmen" grown from sets have only had 2 bolt out of 100 so I may have found a good variety.

Comment

I've tried 'Hy-red' heat treated sets, and about ¼ of them have bolted so far. None of the ordinary ones have bolted (yet).

Where did you get the 'Red Karmen' from PW? Might have to try them next year if you get good results with them...
        Last edited by SarzWix; 04-07-2007, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Wilko's Sarah as I just didnt want to be dissapointed with red baron again. I am also going to try red pearl next year as they have been reccomended by several people.

Comment

Thanks all. I shall wait for PW's report before deciding what to do next year
            It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X