arrrgh I have given up!!1

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi
    Last year was my first year and I went through the disappointing crops then, partly through my own ineptitude and partly because of the drought. However I did learn... and this year being in sunny Kent, we have not suffered from the rains anywhere near as much as in the north. My heavy clay soil was starting to get waterlogged again, but the dry weather before hand meant it could take most of it without getting like quicksand.
    So this year, growing potatoes in pots has worked really well, bit of a disaster last year with the drought, so much watering. I have managed to grown salad leaves and lettuce, they all bolted last year, beans are looking fab, draw a veil over what happened to them last year. Got cabbages for the first time and after sharing my two strawberries last year went for broke and put in 60 plants, and the rain has only just now defeated them - had a wonderful crop from them - 46lb.
    The raspberries have failed again for the second year though so will have to do something else in that bed, the sweet peas have gone yellow and started to die, waterlogged, and my sunflowers have keeled over, wind and slugs I think, oh and I had terrible rust on the garlic and it's ended up very small - but eatable.

So however much I moan about my heavy clay soil, it can be improved and I'm gradually seeing a difference, but my luck's in for protection from wind, I have hedges on two sides and it's a good plot for sun.

So of the two summer evils, rain and drought, my ground is obviously better suited to the first, so do you think soil has something to do with it as well?
    Of course, I'll think I can do better next year and it will do something like snow in June but if we get baking sun again I know I'll have a terrible struggle keeping everything alive and I'll be set back, but at least I know I nearly got some of it right this year. Failure again after my dismal beginners efforts last year would have been too much to bear and I think I would be thinking of giving it all up too but I suspect I will reach the end of September and whatever happens will be wanting another go now instead of having to wait to the Spring to start all over again.
    Sue

Comment

The secret of at least some success is diversity. If we were relying on one crop (whatever it was) there'd be some years we'd have a dismal failure. If you have a row or two of this, that and the other then you will always find that something likes the weather conditions this year. My spuds and courgettes have been great. They obviously like more water than I've ever been able to throw at them in a dry year!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Flummery
        I think you've a good point there, diversity, being still new at all this I like trying all the different seeds and plants and as you say, every year whatever the weather something will grow, will have to embroider that as a sampler and hang it in the shed to remember when I next bang my head over some failure or other.
        Sue

Comment

I was beginning to think I was useless at growing veg, but all the stories of woe and bad crops I read on here hearten me that it isnt entirely my fault. There's nothing we can do about the weather except battle on regardless, don't give up but keep on sowing, weeding, doing what we can to bring along our crops even if they're meagre. I think all my plants really do want to grow and try valiently for me so I shall perservere in helping them all I can. Keep going daisychook, maybe we will have that indian summer after all
          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Decided to dig up my garlic today as the soil has dried out a little(!!)
            ....only 4 out of 54 have survived the damp- the rest are just mush
            Oh well....there's another one for the books!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Oh, love you all....!!!! Thank you for your reassurances and stories!!!

I am heartened (in a warm kind of way) that it isnt me being a total eejit, and that it is the weather.

My chooks have enjoyed my cabbages a la caterpillars!!!! The carrots werent thinned out enough, so again the chooks are enjoying sweet roots, and its fun to watch.

I do however (have to boast loudly!!!) about my 4 yes FOUR strawberries that have actually ripened!!!!

Oh and my mini beet are doing OK too.

As you say, I will keep going, after all it is really satisfying when you get something, even if it wouldnt be enough to keep a chook going for a day!!!!

Happy gardening!! xx
              8 chickens, 1 Whippet and a small garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X