No announcement yet.

What will you sow first in 2016?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be sowing plenty of baby leaf salads, and probably some half pint peas to grow indoors. Last year I sowed peppers, Shirley tomatoes and leeks in January. The leeks bolted by midsummer and the peppers and tomatoes were both overtaken by seedlings sown in late February (peppers) and March (tomatoes). I intend to try to be more patient with these this year.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Will neared the end of January sow a few toms and sweet peppers.
      Found that the toms gave more and better fruits than the later sown although both the same size.
      Want to get some cuttings off the toms a.s.p.
      Bob

Comment

Just been through my seed packets,got some sweet pea,leeks & monkey nuts to start in January. Also going to start a couple of sweet n neat tomatoes under lights with a couple of sweet peppers & basil. Then more peppers,geraniums & petunias in February. Most of my tomatoes will be started indoors in March. Spring isn't warm enough to plant out till about May & they get too tall bringing them in & out every day so I find March sowings are best. Lack of daylight hours caused smaller leaves,trusses & fruit last year on my February sowed sweet million toms (started under lights but got too tall so moved them next to the patio door/southwest facing) but they did give me about six early tomatoes. The March sowed plants behaved normally with a better yield.

Comment

New Years day will plant Aubergine seeds, Sweet peppers, Chilli, and Shallots in modules

Then later in the month will start on the Toms

Comment

I have several seeds packets for January sowing (cant remember them off the top of my head) - but definitely wild garlic. shallots seeds and my garlic cloves which should be arriving in January. Looking forward to having some time to actually potter about and sow a few seeds over the christmas break! I miss the exercise I get running upstairs to check if they have germinated

I may also sow a few chillies - to see what happens but also to try and spread the space on my windowsills for later in the year!

Comment

Aubergines, peppers, chilli´s, tomatoes, leeks etc etc i am sure i will experiment with all sort
              Also some courgettes i planted some 1/1 this year and slow to grow but worked well and i had a wonderfully early harvest.
              I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

New years day I will sow chilli's, monkey nuts ginger and spring onions.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                  New years day I will sow chilli's, monkey nuts ginger and spring onions.
                  Where do you sow the spring onions? Indoors?

Comment

I'm also curious about the spring onions.

As for me, my first will probably be chillies indoors in January, but might also go for shallots.
                    Last edited by elleme; 16-12-2015, 10:33 PM.

Comment

1st Jan...Monkey Nuts!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
                        Where do you sow the spring onions? Indoors?
                        I sow indoors in modules for the first week or till they pop up their heads and then can be moved to the greenhouse. (including the UK) i put about 10 seeds in each about 6 or 7 will grow and plant out together and when ready to harvest i pull up the whole little bunch a perfect amount for the 2 of us.
                        I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

I will be doing the Monkey Nuts and chillies
                          sigpic

Comment

Monkey nuts sweet peas and onion seed definatley,anything else as and when i gone through the seed box again,weather depending,how i miss my once spare bedroom.
                            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I've got a basic heated propagator, sunny windowsill and plenty of seeds, so I'm itching to get started, but will leave it a bit longer.

Chillies are always the first for me to go in.

Comment

The main thing to think about with using a propagator is,the seeds do germinate quicker,but where DO you put them when they all potted up
                                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X