Seeds from Spain?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeds from Spain?

My partner is off to Spain next week, his dad lives there in the South.

Are there any kind of seeds that he can get there that would be good to grow here that I probably wont be able to get hold of here or that would be expensive to buy?

I like the idea of growing unusual stuff Hopefully we will have a greenhouse ready soon too

I'll send him over with a list if there are any Assuming he will do anything bar sit by the pool
    "Nothing contrary to one's genius"

http://chrissieslottie.blogspot.com/

Couldn't say for certain Chrissie. I guess melon seeds may be cheaper there but it would be a case of go see. You will also have to check whether they are varieties with a short growing season so there is a chance of them ripening here.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Didn't think of that! His dad is and always has been a very keen veg grower, I'd imagine he would be best to ask.

I have yet to meet him hopefully we will be going over in October too, if I can get over this plane thing

Comment

Good luck with the flying. It is a wonderful experience - short haul. Long flights are just boring! Ask Madmax!!
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Hi Chrissie - I bought back seeds from Spain last year, but stuck to some different styles of lettuce, a round courgette and large tomatoes. So far they have all been very successful, but they are a little aggressive, particularly the large tomatoes.

We found a fantastic garden centre near where we were staying, which did the most fantastic coffee and pasta. So I got to go quite alot!
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie - whereabouts was the garden centre? It's a long shot, I know, but my parents live in Spain, and if it was handy for them they'd be there like a shot

Comment

FHG - We were staying just outside the village of Guaro, about 10 minutes from Coin (Malaga Province) and the garden centre was on the way to the coast, but can't remember in what direction!

If it is the right area I'll email our landlady who will be delighted to tell me the address. It is REALLY worth a visit. I could have spent pounds, sorry euros!
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

aw, what a shame, they're further north, in Alicante province. Oh well, it was worth a try

Comment

Maybe its the A1 garden centre?? don't get too excited about the seeds the variety is limited, you may get a few tomatoes like Marglobe, Tres Cantos and Mucha Miel and some interesting aubergines, look out for listia de gandia (striped from gandia) best for germintion and yield I've tried, apart from that I find the varieties a tad dull.....sorry!! Good value for money though you get loads more seeds in the packets compared to the US and UK

Comment

I can't give any pointers, as I buy lots of French, and a few Italian, seeds but not Spanish. I just like to pick up on what Shirl said... You might want to take care that the varieties you choose will suit the UK climate. This can work to your advantage- for example I'll grow English lettuce in spring and French in summer, as they are slower to bolt in the heat. If you have lots of space in your greenhouse or a polytunnel its very useful (esp.Toms and Aubergines peppers etc.) but alliums, melons or sweetcorn, for example, may not be a success.

PS I'm told flying is statistically much safer than car travel....I'm double sure you'd be fine and have a wonderful break.

Comment

my partners son lives inFrance

Didn't think of asking him to ask his lad about picking me some seeds up, closer to home and similar climate, might have a peek when we finally go over (on a boat I hope )

I guess I'll have to look into it properly before I spend all my money on stuff that wont do well. I'm a bit of an impulse buyer

Thank you for all your tips

Comment

I am growing 'Snakes of Sicily' this year and a large cantaloupe melon from seeds procured by one of the blokes at the allotments who went to Alicante for a spring holiday.
                        He says he bought the seeds at a florist and actually tasted these two veg when he was there! Very nice apparently!
                        The packets had loads of seeds in them, so much so that nearly every allotment holder on our site (40 plots) is growing some.
                        Plants seem to be growing ok in the greenhouse at present but we'll just have to see if they fruit ok over here?
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thats the one thing I will say for my Spanish seeds, loads of seeds in the packet for probably less than I've paid here.
                          ~
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X