A reminder about Chitting potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
    I have a chitting dilemma this year. My chitting room or propagator room is now being inhabited by No1 son back from uni. I have suggested he would like to move his computer and allow 60 odd spuds desk space but for some reason he's not keen.
    I expect my potato order will arrive in the next week or two so my choices are the potting bench in the shed or the garage. The shed is light but I have had seed potatoes freeze and bake in there at different times. The garage is darker but with some natural light and probably less temperature variation.
    Which one would you go for?
    I always use my daughters bedroom windowsill,for potatoes or a few plants if I need to,she's 16 soon & I don't ask her,I just tell her mind the windowsill & what I've put there,so she doesn't knock them off accidentally or something. She doesn't seem to mind (I'm sure I'd know about it if she did!). With potatoes you can just leave them for weeks so is there a windowsill in there,then they wouldn't really be in the way you know?

Comment

It is very nice seeing them on the windowsills or a makeshift shelve in front of the window and watching them sprout.

I guess one advantage could be on large tubers you can see where you can cut them so you can plant two instead of one.

I have mine all laid out but could´t just leave them in the bag till ready to be planted out.
      I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

So the swift tubers that i bought yesterday at the wye vale already have quite a few chits on every potato, do i leave them just carry on untill im ready to plant ?

Comment

If you ask 10 people Jack,you may well get 10 answers. I would rub them off.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And if you ask 10 gardeners you will get a strong debate followed by at least 15 answers.
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'd leave them on...
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

ok , guess ill rub half off and leave half on and see what happens on planting day
                thanks people.

Comment

Originally posted by WPG View Post
                  Mine arrived early and are already chitting on the stairs window sill - it's the only bright window without a radiator. The egg boxes are much wider than the sill, so I'm slightly neurotic about the thought of them falling off and getting all mixed up. I suppose I could colour code each potato, just in case.
                  If it were me.......i'd draw faces on all of those spuds.
                  Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

My spuds are currently spaced out in egg boxes because they arrived over xmas, so putting them in egg boxes has spaced them out nicely. I have no frost free buildings for them to go in.

So they are chitting by default.
                    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
                      It is very nice seeing them on the windowsills or a makeshift shelve in front of the window and watching them sprout.
                      Regardless of whether chitting makes a difference or not, they do look good, and it gives me hope that the planting season is not that far away!

Comment

got most of mine today,
                        first earlies...epicure..red D york..swift

main crop...pink fur apple..shannon..maris piper..kondor..

all together 11.? kilos @ £1.50 per kilo,pic your own,

lady cristal not yet in,this year i WILL feed them,

in the kings catalogue ,it has swift marked as a main crop,but says about it being an early,we shall see,
                        Last edited by lottie dolly; 12-01-2016, 04:28 PM.
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Just had an email to say my Anya are on their way

When they arrive they'll go straight onto the windowledge in the cool spare bedroom.

Comment

I've just received a dispatch email. I've been saving egg boxes in preparation - more for safe storage than specifically to chit. excited!

Comment

#26 LD Swift is one of the earliest of early varieties I have harvested after as little as nine weeks. Didn't go much on the lack of taste though.
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for conformation mr p,thats 1 reason i chose them after a web look,then noticed what K book said,have good mine to ring em up and point it out,
                                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X