The Potta System

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    I think it's just another gimmick based on previous ideas. I really need to start using the rootrainers I bought several years ago.
    I've tried rootrainers a couple of times and didn't like them at all. I think its partly because I don't sow enough of anything to fill a whole set, and you need to use the whole set to keep them together, so I had to mix and match things which grew at different rates. They were hard to water - you are supposed to submerge the thing in water for a bit to wet them thoroughly, but I then ended up with drips all over the floor as I struggled to replace them into the grow light garden. I also found them tricky to deal with when I tried to take the plants out of the frame, and the tops got too big and started crowding each other before the roots had filled the cells.

Plants I tried were tomatoes, mizuna, pak choi, lettuce (I think) and peas. Peas did best but started to climb up each other so they were hard to separate.
    Last edited by Penellype; 06-03-2016, 03:37 PM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
      Plants I tried were tomatoes, mizuna, pak choi, lettuce (I think) and peas. Peas did best but started to climb up each other so they were hard to separate.
      Ive not used them for any of those things but do find them very good for beans (all types), sweetcorn and leeks. They all like the depth and don't get bushy so are fine close together. Not sure I understand your watering comment (I may not have read the instructions). I just put water in the tray and let them soak it up as with any pot.

One point to note though, the quality f them has really gone downhill. I had some years ago which lasted and lasted, used two or three times each per season. Bought some new ones a couple of years ago and they were much lower quality and clearly won't last long. Somebody else said they'd found the same problem too unfortunately.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Agree about the quality - one of them has cracked already (only used twice).

Leeks are interesting - I need to sow some of those. Maybe I will give them one more try and see how it goes.

The instructions for watering are to occasionally submerge the rootrainers in water, suggesting using the lid as a reservoir. I found that they didn't quite reach the bottom of the tray so some of the cells got rather dry when watered from the bottom in the grow light garden.
        Last edited by Penellype; 06-03-2016, 05:14 PM.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I take your points on board Pene but even though you need to put 8 books in to hold them together doesn't mean you have to sow in them all at once, I just use the ones I need then use some more as I feel necessary.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            My Nana always used newspaper too! Torn into squares and hung on a string in the outside toilet.
            I think youre at it I remember the newspasper being used that way, and it always gave you something to read and helped you to relax and I still take a book with me when going to the toilet
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I have supply to limitless amount of cardboard tube from the paper rolls used in the hospital. I used them last year for nearly everything. They fit inti a normal seed tray and seem to stand up ok. Will be using them again this year. I used the root trainers for my peas beans and sweet peas and they were great
              Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                I think youre at it I remember the newspasper being used that way, and it always gave you something to read and helped you to relax and I still take a book with me when going to the toilet
                Oh God, Too much information Rary.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                  Where do you think I catch up with the Vine
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                    Where do you think he hides when it's his round at the GR
                    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Loo rolls! I've never heard of this, but I love the idea. Do you remove the seedlings from the rolls before planting out, or just put the whole thing in the ground?

Comment

Snowbunny you plant the whole thing using either a bulb planter or trowel.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X