No announcement yet.

Grow light

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't say where you are so I'm assuming you are in the UK, in which case it is too early to put courgettes in a cold frame. Although it is warmer and sunnier now than it was a couple of days ago, if the sky is clear at night frost is likely.

I don't put my courgettes outside (even in a cold frame) much before June.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Thanks for the info! I'm in Ashford, Surrey.

Can they be transplanted deeper then to stop legginess?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2072 View Post
        Thanks for the info! I'm in Ashford, Surrey.

Can they be transplanted deeper then to stop legginess?
        I'm not a million miles away and I won't even sow them till mid-April to go out mid-May under cloches. Without wanting to sound harsh, I'd bin the courgettes and sow again later.
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by Stamets
          Must mention that the distance from the plant to the light source is influential in regards to light intensity. Light output is divided by the distance squared. Thus, if the plant is 2ft from a 1000 lumen light source the intensity would equate to 250 lumens. This is why its important to get the most out of the running of lighting by placing plants as close to the light source as possible without causing heat damage. Temperature can be controlled by type of bulb used, fan(s) within lighting ballast, use of vents on propagator and background temperature/location etc...

I use a Lightwave T5 over a heated Vitopod propagator for germination/propagation and then harden off on the windowsills/potting shed before planting out.
          I agree with Sparrow..They germinate so easily and grow so fast that it's easier just to do it again later...
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

With regard to planting deeper, some plants don't mind this (tomatoes in particular, but also brassicas) and some really object to having their stem below ground. I don't know about courgettes, but I would agree with the above, you are probably best sowing more later.

If you have the space there is no reason why you shouldn't put them in a cold frame rather than throwing them out, but expect a serious check to growth which they may or may not recover from at the very least, and be prepared to lose them.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

My current temporary set up...
              Procured the growlight cheap with a broken tube...now replaced
              And bought a Vitopod as hadn't upgraded on my propagator set up in years so splashed out on ones that have grooves for lights to sit into...(only one light on the prop in pic but have the two)

Very happy with set up at my...
              Chilli plants are loving it and seem to be a lot more bushy at smaller size...we will see how it goes, trial and error at mo...
              Attached Files
              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stamets
                This point i mentioned on page 3 of this thread is so significant when it comes to gardening under lights. Just a minor distance from growth to lamp makes a significant difference in potential growth within a given time frame. Ideally in 'Penellype' photograph the pots with younger tomato growth should be elevated to be closer to the lamp. A block of polystyrene under the pots maybe!
                Agreed. Unfortunately the pots are on a self watering tray, and the slope of the legs of the lights prevents the tray from being raised. I was originally going to put only tall plants in here and the smaller ones in my grow light garden, but the small plants are actually doing fine, presumably because there are 4 light tubes rather than 2.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X