No announcement yet.

Yet Another Silly Tomato Idea!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BM if you've got the space and plants to experiment with I think you should give it a go otherwise you'll never know what the results would be. Plus we like reading your threads
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

100% agree with Bren. Just do it BM.
      Obviously we want a weekly progress report

Thanks for the link to forking tomatoes VC. My Ovi's Romanian Giant has done that.

Comment

If I had the space & a load of straw I would try growing some horizontal cordons, just plant them in the ground at 45° and just let them grow along the ground...............
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've let indeterminate tomatoes grow as bushes in a few ways and have the following observations.

1. Cherry tomatoes (varieties Sungold, Chocolate Cherry) allowed to do their own thing will make huge bushes with vast amounts of fruit. They are a nightmare to stake, but it works. These are Sungold (4 plants about a foot apart in the centre, one plant on the right):

2. Better behaved plants (Shirley in my experience) will grow quite well as 2, 3 or 4 stemmed plants. I routinely do this indoors at home, stopping the plant at 2 or 3 trusses and growing the sideshoots on. The indoor plants don't produce huge fruit anyway as they are only in 3 litre pots, but this method doesn't seem to reduce fruit size as far as I can tell. When tried in the greenhouse with Shirley plants in gro-beds, stopping at about 5 trusses, it worked well and the fruit was a decent size.

3. You will get a huge tangle of foliage. This can lead to problems with botrytis and blight in damp weather and can make finding some of the fruit quite tricky.

I don't see why you shouldn't be ok growing a central stem and about 4 sideshoots from the bottom of the plant, say one up each corner of your square. I'd advise removing the rest of the sideshoots.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Penellype; 06-05-2016, 09:06 AM.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
            I don't see why you shouldn't be ok growing a central stem and about 4 sideshoots from the bottom of the plant, say one up each corner of your square. I'd advise removing the rest of the sideshoots.
            Yes, that's my intention Pene plus I may also remove any leaf branches that grow in to the centre of the square.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I think it sounds like a good plan - we like an experiment keep us informed!!

Comment

I think someone steals your ideas, BM

Tomato Cage x 3 - Blooming Great Savings You Can Bank On - Reader Offers - Suttons Seeds and Plants

What would happen if you trained 4 armpits to the framework and cut out the main stem?

Comment

I don't know, will let you know when I do it....................

Comment

Really like the cage, veggiechicken. And not that expensive, really. I might order some myself. But they definitely need some kind of stopper on the end of the rods... Corks would probably work.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                      Really like the cage, veggiechicken. And not that expensive, really. I might order some myself. But they definitely need some kind of stopper on the end of the rods... Corks would probably work.
                      It'll be canes & string for me cos I'm a cheapskate................

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X