No announcement yet.

How's your garlic doing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All looking good. Pic of one Elephant plot showing slight yellowing of leaf tips but still some throwing up scapes so I'd guess about 6-8 weeks yet before the hard work starts.
    Ordinary garlic is about the same stage but I only grow Russian Giant and Meteche as I cant be bothered with tiny cloves and never plant later than October.
    Attached Files
    Family motto "semper in excretum"

Comment

All my garlic is in a collection of washing up bowls (we moved mid Nov on very short notice) so although they have grown I really don't know what the bulbs will be like.

I did have a quick fertle around 1 of my elephants yesterday, the bulb is sideways but at least there is one there.

When I plant this year they will be going into the small bed where my broad beans are at the moment so I can use the bowls for something else.
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Mine are starting to swell, maybe the size of golf balls at the moment but the scafes are still quite green and upright. Have weeded frequently, they are in a new home this year and have given them lots of chicken poo pellets too. We'll see if all this attention is more productive than my usual regime of benevolent neglect

Comment

Terrible.

Though I appear to have had a bad everything this year. Bar potatoes. Those are going mad!

Comment

Planted mine in pots in Autumn because our soil is quite clay like but out of 20 only 4 survived to ground....

As a first time grower I am assumming most of the leave need to be brown before I pull up? Onions next to garlic row are looking fabulous so fingers crossed..

Attached Files

Comment

Looking like mine are sort of done - leaves yellowing, but they're full of 'rust' !!

I've not checked any underground yet - should I be worried ?
              .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Turns out I don't think it is rust at all - lifted a few today and it looks like onion white rot.
                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

Comment

Quite jealous of dammad49's field of elephant garlic. My garlic/elephant garlic looking ok. Had some scape but leaving in a bit longer - July some time. Tips starting to go yellow on a few. Hope they're ok as ground dried out & I didn't water or weed! Mind you, they've thrived on this routine before. Looking forward to digging up the elephant garlic I put in the flower bed 2 years ago & forgot about..

Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Mine are pushing up out of the ground. Look like good sized bulbs. The leaves are quite yellow with some rust. When should I lift them. There's not much green on them now. The are my own saved garlic from last year. Can't remember what I bought and planted the year before. Planted them middle of October last year
                    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by Bal View Post
                      Mine are pushing up out of the ground. Look like good sized bulbs. The leaves are quite yellow with some rust. When should I lift them. There's not much green on them now. The are my own saved garlic from last year. Can't remember what I bought and planted the year before. Planted them middle of October last year
                      When did u plant them Bal?
                      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                      sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear that, KevinM67.

Imayhow, what kind of garlic are you growing? Identifying when they're ready to pick depends on what they are.

In my case, my garlic grow scapes (flower heads). I've been keeping an eye on them recently, expecting it to happen any time soon. Anyway, spotted the first scape today. A couple of have got rust but nothing very significant. So assuming they all produce scapes around now, I'll be picking in three weeks' time or so.

Either way, I'm not expecting much in the way of bulbs. The bed they're in is like concrete, but it was all there was when they needed to get planted out.

Comment

My garlic's leaves are quite yellow, it's got rust and has sent up flower spikes. I've cut of all the flowers. Is it ready to pull yet. The bulbs look quit big.

Attached Files

Comment

Is that pink nail varnish, or just a really healthy finger ? - just curious

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
                              Is that pink nail varnish, or just a really healthy finger ? - just curious
                              An obviously healthy finger. Never even noticed that .

Comment

Originally posted by Bal View Post
                                An obviously healthy finger. Never even noticed that .
                                Sorry Bal - that might have come across a 'bit weird', it was not intended.
                                Looking at the pic on my phone, the 'pinkness' of the fingernail was the main thing that caught my eye - fair play to you.

Anyway, back on topic - judging the size of the bulb, it's a toughy, I'd be inclined to leave for a bit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X