No announcement yet.

How's your garlic doing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvested half my crop last week (planted in Nov) and they all look good, some bulbs bigger and plumper than others. They have all cloved up nicely. They were self saved from last year's crop and I think they were mostly Carcasonne Wight. The other lot don't look ready and I can't remember why... think I must have planted them later, in the spring maybe, as I have a dim memory of finding lots of sprouted cloves in the compost heap and thinking it was a shame to waste them. Really must start making notes about these sorts of things!!
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Finished lifting mine. Of 42 cloves planted, 39 have made it. All of a usable size and some quite large ones. So all in all, am very pleased. Will keep the largest ones for next year's crop. With any luck, I'll actually get them in the ground a bit earlier.

Comment

If you don't get out and do it on a mild day in November or early December, like I've done in previous years, then it's hard to motivate yourself to get outdoors in January or February

So like some other posters, I left it later than ideal, and cloves didn't get planted until mid-March. I wasn't very optimistic, and wouldn't have been surprised if the bulbs hadn't fully swollen or divided, but I'm pleased to report I've recently lifted my best ever crop

Mid July, I was still trying to leave it as long as possible, but then rust spots started appearing, so I cut off most of the foliage, and then left the tubs to dry out for a few days before lifting.

Attached Files
        Last edited by Chris11; 27-07-2016, 09:42 PM. Reason: added pic

Comment

My garlics have performed as normal. Close to utterly useless.
          I am beginniing to get the idea that I plant them as they grow fairly easy so fill a row or space so for a month or two look like they should be there.

Best I ever had was from a Sainsbury's red skinned one.

Comment

I gave up on ordinary garlic but grow elephant garlic instead. The large cloves are easy to prepare and taste great. They don,t seem to get diseased like ordinary garlic,perhaps because they are planted deeper?

Comment

I have been growing garlic for longer than I care to remember (all sorts).
              As the ground needed feeding, I put down a few inches of manure on the top of the bed before planting last August.
              Every one has rotted away, so ordered up some named garlic from the i.o.w
              Feed the soil, not the plants.
              (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
              Bob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X